hayward pool pump 2hp sp1615-z-1 leaks. Concrete slab moved

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
My pump leaks about 2 drops per second. The leak is somewhere on the bottom, I think were motor connects to the pump. When I stop the pump it's not leaking, the pump stays primed and the filter stays full. If it is a gasket, which gasket is it?

I noticed a few days ago the area around the pump was dump, but as soon as sun hits it it's all dry. I don't know when it started leaking and whether it started leaking more in just a few days since I first noticed it. I kept it off last night just in case and just turned it on again... if sun doesn't dry it out then it got worse.

I'm debating whether I should try to fix it myself or hire someone to do it. If hiring someone, any idea how much it should cost (assuming it's gaskets)? Also, does this leak need to be addressed right away or can it wait? I am not really good at fixing things and don't know anything about pumps, but if it's gaskets (and if I know which ones) I could probably try to replace them myself.

I've been running pump 24/7 for 11 days now bringing chlorine up to 12ppm. Could it cause the leak?

Concrete slab moved a bit and there's about 3/4-1 inch clearance between the front bottom of the pump and the concrete.
I don't know how long it's been like that, but should I fix it? I'm worried it puts extra pressure on pipes, but again, I don't know how long it's been like this, may be a few years now.
If I'm able to lift the slab (it's 3ft x 2ft x 2"), can I just throw a barbell weight under it? If not, what's the best way to fix it?

I posted pictures on flickr. Please let me know if they are not accessible.

I think pump sounds normal, but I also uploaded a short video there.

Also, can my pump be removed without cutting pipes? Here's the reference to my pump. It looks like I could remove it without cutting the pipes, but not too sure

Thanks.

The first thing I would suggest is getting the pump back sitting level on the concrete. The leak may be from the shaft seal and, based on what you are saying, I would suggest you hire someone to fix them both.

Could someone tell me what is the reasonable cost for this work? Prices tend to fluctuate quiet a bit. Thanks

Edit: Never mind. I called a couple places, they are about $80-100 an hour. The guy told me this pump is more difficult to work with than other pumps, but should still be 1-2hr work. Does it sound about right?

I don't know how long it was leaking for.

Interestingly, half of the people I called refuse to fix it. They say it's old and something else may break during or short after the fix.
They try to sell the new $1200-1600-3000 pumps instead.
:)

Replaced it yesterday. So far no leaks. Removing impeller on this pump is a pain, needs a strap tool.
Getting it back into the housing was also very hard. I had to put the front of the pump on the ground and push the motor and even then it took 15-20 minutes. But I knew about it - some guy I spoke to said he worked on this model many years ago and won't touch it again :)

As for the concrete slab - I leveled it, but the front of the pump is still not sitting on it. Either the front of the pump was never sitting on the slab or slab was never leveled (back was lower when pipes were cut).
Now the clearance is about 0.5". Should I still try adjust the slab (raise the front and lower the back) or would it be better to just insert something between the pump and the slab instead?

Thanks

I have the same issue again, only this time it doesn't leak as much - it started with about 1 drop every 5 seconds and now 18hr later it's about 1 drop every 15 seconds. Seems like the same spot so it's probably the same shaft seal. Should I wait longer and see if leak stops or should I replace it?
Replacing it is really a pain

How long should these seals last? Last one lasted 3 seasons.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.