Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New from Canada

1. Back To Top    #1

New from Canada

Hey all,

I've been reading the forum for awhile and decided to finally join. I bought a house with a pool 2 years ago (moved out of one with a hot tub) and the previous owners hadn't covered the pool for the long Canadian winter so when I tried to get it going the pool store was no help and kept selling me things. I went on line, found you and within a few days my green swamp was a blue paradise. Swimming season is short enough here, so I like to do as little maintenance as possible. After getting it going, I just had to add some chlorine every day or two. Very easy to do.

I'm looking to buy the TF test kit this year (the pool store has been doing my testing, but it's inconsistent, I fear; plus they might notice I haven't bought anything from them in over a year). Unfortunately doesn't ship to Canada and the Taylor Kit is about $200 from the distributor up here. Trying to import the TF kit but wondering if anyone know if it is made in the USA? If it is I can import it here for free, otherwise I'll have to pay double in duty.

I also put up some solar heating panels this spring so those should cut down my heating bill, I think the Jandy Lite 2 that I have is pretty old and inefficient, maybe I'm wrong though. One of the panels had several leaks in it out of the box, so I'm working on getting it replaced but the other five have helped immensely thus far.
    23K gallon, vinyl liner, 1hp pump, sand filter, solar heater, jandy lite 2 heater, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: New from Canada

Welcome to TFP. Sounds like you've been busy.

I'm sure someone will chime in about importing the TF-100.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Others from up there have gotten them somehow, from friends or visits here, but yes they are made in the US. North Carolina to be precise.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4
    Toronto, Ont

I ran into the same problem with the test kits. I ordered one when we were in Florida to avoid the Canadian prices but replacement reagents are a problem too as Taylor won't ship them to Canada either. The Canadian distributor prices are so high that he can't be selling any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump