Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st test results help!

1. Back To Top    #1

1st test results help!

First time pool owner. Just got my tf-100 today and just finished testing. Performed each test at least twice to make sure I got same results. So here they are. Currently pool is pretty clear but deep end seems a tiny bit hazy. I shocked the pool last Saturday with 6 gallons of shock 12.5%. I also have a swg.
    Now what should I do? Add stabilizer and slam? Can my cya really be zero?

Fc - 1
    Cc- 6
    Ch-125
    Ta-110
    Ph-7.5
    Cya- n/a didn't disappear
    Salt- 3600

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st test results help!

I don't see a result for CYA. In any event, if your FC is 1 and your CC's are 6 (that's really high BTW) there is some organic contamination of some sort. Are you really sure about the CC's being 6? Please post a CYA result as well - it's part of the TF-100. The CYA level determines how much chlorine you need for normal maintenance and for a SLAM which you will probably need to do.
    See FC/CYA Chart for more info on the relationship between chlorine and CYA.

Ok, I see you posted CYA. If the dot didn't disappear, then you basically have none.

You will need to do a SLAM for sure. But before you do, run this simple test. Add 10ppm of chlorine (FC) with pump running, then retest FC 30 minutes later. Post the results of that test here.
    Last edited by BoDarville; 06-04-2015 at 09:45 PM. Reason: updated based on OP posting CYA level
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    You will need to do a SLAM for sure. But before you do, run this simple test. Add 10ppm of chlorine (FC) with pump running, then retest FC 30 minutes later. Post the results of that test here.
    Definitely do this and let us know as soon as you can. Did you just open your pool?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

yes pool was just opened on saturday. its the first pool I've owned so i have no idea what I'm doing. sure am glad i found you guys. re-tested FC and CC and cya. No cya, FC was maybe even .5. CC was definitely around 6.
    20x40 kidney IG vinyl liner built 2012
    27k gallon, Pentair IC60 SWG,
    pentair vs 3hp pump, triton sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Please run that 30-minute FC loss test. That's going to tell us how to proceed. You'll still need to SLAM but, based on the results of that 30-min FC loss test, we may make one modification.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

6. Back To Top    #6

how do i add 10ppm of FC? my pool is 27k gallons. I have 2 bottles of shock and 3 bottles or regular clorox.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Ok, I thought maybe that was the case. Do what Bo suggested, figure out how much bleach you need to add to bring your FC up to 10, let that mix for a half hour, and then test again. This needs to be done at night (preferably right now) and shut off your SWG while you do this.

EDIT: If the bottles of shock are 12% liquid chlorine then add both of those and you will be close enough. If they are 10% then add both of those plus 3 quarts of the clorox.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Add chlorine using bleach. Walmart brand is 8.25% use pool math to calculate.
    You need to double check the CC that's really high.
    I personally do not use shock product. If your CC is that high You need to slam your pool.
    24 ft round 52 in Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, Hayward S180T pump sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method, Borates Added, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (Rincon/Savannah,GA)

9. Back To Top    #9

how do i add 10ppm of FC? my pool is 27k gallons. I have 2 bottles of shock and 3 bottles or regular clorox.
    Per Pool Math, you would need to add 380 oz of 8.25% bleach to raise FC from 0.5 to 10 ppm in a 27,000 gallon pool. If you are using a different strength of bleach, plug that into the PoolMath tool and it will tell you how much to add. Be sure to enter your pool volume at the top of the page.

Re-emphasizing what Donldson said, make sure you turn off the SWG before running the 30-minute test.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mcecere11 View Post
    Go to Pool Math: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Change the size to 27000.

Plug current FC value into FC Now, plug 10 into FC goal. Change bleach percentage to whatever percentage bleach you have.

If now was .5 and bleach percentage was 8.25, then you need 3 gallons of bleach. 380oz.

Add this with the pump running and test in 1/2 hour. Test again in anouther 1/2 hour to get the difference.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

11. Back To Top    #11

thanks turned sag off and added two gallons of shock 12.5% per pool math. will re-test in 30 mins

12. Back To Top    #12

ok re-tested FC still at 1. CC now at 10 ??

13. Back To Top    #13

Sounds like a case of cya converted to ammonia?
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

I think you have it backwards.
    If your adding chlorine bleach your FC should rise and I don't think cc should. Correct me if I'm wrong experts.
    24 ft round 52 in Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, Hayward S180T pump sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method, Borates Added, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (Rincon/Savannah,GA)

15. Back To Top    #15

thats what i was thinking but test showed otherwise?

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm sure a more seasoned member will chime in. I have the k-2006 kit not sure difference from your kit but I test mine with 10 ml water level use dpd powder add the correct drops r-0871 until it turns from pink to clear each drop r-0871 counts as .5 mine is currently at 7 (it's raining) then add the 5 drops of r-0003 mine stays clear so my cc is 0

- - - Updated - - -

Double check your adding correct reagents and didn't get them mixed up. Just a thought.

17. Back To Top    #17

yup i added 10ml of pool water. I then added one heaping scoop(says heaping and also says doesn't matter all that much) swirl it around turns a pale pink. Then one drop of r0871 clears most of it up but the 2nd drop makes it crystal clear. Then add 5 drops of 0003 and turns a brighter pink. takes about 15 drops of 0871 to clear it up

I just re-tested two more times with different water samples. Getting similar results .5-1 FC and 7.5CC.

18. Back To Top    #18

Since I'm fairly new at this I'd wait for one of the great experts on this to answer. Sounds to me like could be ammonia issue and will require a slam.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Yeah, opening to zero CYA, high CC and the inability to keep FC, you have ammonia. Over the winter your CYA was consumed by bacteria which converted it to ammonia. Now you need to destroy the ammonia as well as kill the bacteria before you can add more CYA.

You need to SLAM, but at first you are going to be pouring chlorine in and it will be instantly consumed, like just happened. You will need to grab a lot of chlorine, either 12.5% or regular bleach, whichever is less expensive. You will need a lot...

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

20. Back To Top    #20

when i read the pool school how to SLAM it says be careful when cya is 0. It also doesn't really give a FC level for 0 cya. I have a swg, do i just follow the lowest cya recommendation (60) which has a shock level of 24? assume that it will take a lot of bleach. according to pool math it says 5-12.5% Gallons to get to 24. How many is a reasonable estimate to buy? 10? 20? i have no idea? TIA!
    also anyway to test for ammonia or is it just a given since i have no cya and cc is super high and FC is basically non-existent?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast