Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sight Glass and Pressure Gauge have stopped working

1. Back To Top    #1

Sight Glass and Pressure Gauge have stopped working

When it rains it pours. I've just started my SLAM and now I have noticed that the pressure gauge on my Hayward filter isn't working. Also noticed when I backwash that the little sight jar is only half full of water and doesn't seem to move around any. I'm getting a film of algae on the bottom of the glass that doesn't move.

It all sounds ok when running, but I'm wondering how easy it is to fix/replace those things.

I was wondering if perhaps the gauge could just be cleaned. There appears to be some salt creep around the base from a leak at the top of the filter last winter.

Thoughts?
    20x40 Vinyl Inground with an 8' Deep end (approx 34000 gal), 500 Gal spill spa (not heated), SWG Aquarite, Hayward S210T Filter, Hayward 1hp Super Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sight Glass and Pressure Gauge have stopped working

If you are talking about the jar on the multi-port valve, it just unscrews.
    The gauge is easy to replace. Get a new one, when you install it, put a few wraps of teflon tape on it.
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

3. Back To Top    #3

I recently replaced my pressure gauge. I ordered from Tftestkits.net. They are super nice and cheap!
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info on the gauge. I will look into replacing that once the SLAM is complete. I don't want to risk breaking something and then my filter not be working at all.

So is there no concern over the fact that the water in the Sight Glass doesn't move? Could there be air trapped somehow? Perhaps just unscrew it and put it back? No chance of breaking my filter doing that correct? I know it is only supposed to move when backflushing, but it doesn't ever move and now it just sits there turning green.
    20x40 Vinyl Inground with an 8' Deep end (approx 34000 gal), 500 Gal spill spa (not heated), SWG Aquarite, Hayward S210T Filter, Hayward 1hp Super Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Re: your sightglass. Do you have reason to believe your backwash function is not working?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

The sight glass is there in case your waste line is plumbed to the sewer or something where you can't see what's coming out. The sight glass lets you see when the water is running clear. It's not under any great pressure. None when you're in filter mode. Just unscrew it and clean it. Put the filter on waste and pump some water straight from the pool out the backwash line and see if it fills the sight glass. If it does, the problem is withing the filter itself, because waste bypasses it completely.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!