Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: the nightmare continues

1. Back To Top    #1

the nightmare continues

After testing and testing and raising one thing and fixing one problem and then making another... here's where I am tonight:
    FC .5
    CC .5
    TC 1
    CH 100
    PH <6.8 (test is yellow)
    TA 20
    CYA 70

So..I'm all messed up again.
    I have attempted slamming, after about 150 gallons of bleach I'm giving up on that.
    I've been using the new Clorox products and had almost a clear pool with cloudiness.
    We've been vacuuming to waste and all of the dead algae is nearly gone and tonight it's getting an aqua tint again.

I'm at my whits end with this pool. I've read and read and done the pool math and I just can't get it right.

Desperate for advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: the nightmare continues

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Your TA and pH are WAY too low. That is first priority. Use borax to raise the pH until you get a reading in the 7s, 30 minutes after adding the borax. Then test the TA and see where you are at.

How were you doing the SLAM? What FC level were you maintaining?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure why my signature isn't showing up. Lemme try to figure that out
    Was slamming with with bleach and now then with clorox pool brand shock. I don't think I maintained any FC more than a few hours

4. Back To Top    #4

What was your CYA level when you opened? The "shock" may have been contributing to the fact that your CYA is now pretty high if it was Dichlor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

the nightmare continues

the nightmare continues

After testing and testing and raising one thing and fixing one problem and then making another... here's where I am tonight:
    FC .5
    CC .5
    TC 1
    CH 100
    PH <6.8 (test is yellow)
    TA 20
    CYA 70

So..I'm all messed up again.
    I have attempted slamming, after about 150 gallons of bleach I'm giving up on that.
    I've been using the new Clorox products and had almost a clear pool with cloudiness.
    We've been vacuuming to waste and all of the dead algae is nearly gone and tonight it's getting an aqua tint again.

I'm at my whits end with this pool. I've read and read and done the pool math and I just can't get it right.

Desperate for advice.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't add my signature to this so made a new post. Sorry
    24x52 AG pool (16,900gallons) with Eco Kleer 2013 19" Sand Filter w/ 1.5 HP pump
    Pool was installed 11 months ago. (July 2013)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa1230 View Post
    Not sure why my signature isn't showing up. Lemme try to figure that out
    Was slamming with with bleach and now then with clorox pool brand shock. I don't think I maintained any FC more than a few hours
    You can't go a few hours without adding chlorine. Hourly additions are typical during the early part of a SLAM.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

I deleted the duplicate post ... your sig should show up in your future posts if you turned on the feature.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. Maybe i waited too long between.

9. Back To Top    #9

It's a tedious process (SLAM) and requires close monitoring to keep the FC at the correct level to match the CYA (on the Chlorine/CYA Chart), but it does work. It sounds as though you've invested quite a bit of time so far, so don't give up. Take time with the tests, re-post them as much as needed, and follow the instructions given and you will get there Melissa!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

One box of borax and one hour later and no raise in PH and TA is 30

11. Back To Top    #11

Do it again.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Every time the chlorine level drops below the minimum level for your CYA the algae starts growing like crazy all over again. Without maintaining the shock level during a SLAM you could SLAM forever. The Chlorine CYA Chart shows the chlorine level for the CYA level.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach