Start up CYA question.....

rwb1

Jul 6, 2014
STILLWATER,NY
I just got my pool up and running this week and did a first test that went as follows:

FC= 0
PH= 7.5
TA= 70
CYA= 0

Used pool pal to adjust the chlorine to a shock level of 10.....added 256 oz of liquid stabilizer to obtain cya levels of 40ppm added baking soda and borax to adjust TA and PH...that was last night.

Tested tonight and my FC level is still up there @ as far as I can tell....my kit only goes up to 5 and its pretty yellow....everything else looks ok except the CYA....according to my tube test its @ 90-100 ppm.

My question is , my test kit spent the winter in the garage and got very cold, could that affect my initial readings and did I overdose on liquid CYA ?? Pool had a little gunk in the bottom , so i brushed it and left the filter on for 24+ hrs and its pretty clear....not perfect but getting there.

this is my first full season using the BBB method as I had the pool installed at the end of last july and my water was perfect.

Any help is appreciated.

Given that you apparently do not even have the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... and let the kit endure the winter outside ... I would ditch it and order one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Why do you think you needed to adjust the pH or TA ... they were perfect :scratch:

That stabilizer would have only added 40ppm ... so one of your 2 tests were wrong.

As I am typing this I am in the process of adding to adjust the TA and PH ...but you are right, they are at acceptable levels...not sure what I was thinking thanks. As far as the CYA , I thought the same thing, should be right on @ 40 ppm.
I assume the chlorine should drop in a few days.....I just ordered the TF-100 kit.

thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.