Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Start up CYA question.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Start up CYA question.....

I just got my pool up and running this week and did a first test that went as follows:

FC= 0
    PH= 7.5
    TA= 70
    CYA= 0

Used pool pal to adjust the chlorine to a shock level of 10.....added 256 oz of liquid stabilizer to obtain cya levels of 40ppm added baking soda and borax to adjust TA and PH...that was last night.

Tested tonight and my FC level is still up there @ as far as I can tell....my kit only goes up to 5 and its pretty yellow....everything else looks ok except the CYA....according to my tube test its @ 90-100 ppm.

My question is , my test kit spent the winter in the garage and got very cold, could that affect my initial readings and did I overdose on liquid CYA ?? Pool had a little gunk in the bottom , so i brushed it and left the filter on for 24+ hrs and its pretty clear....not perfect but getting there.

this is my first full season using the BBB method as I had the pool installed at the end of last july and my water was perfect.

Any help is appreciated.
    18,500 AG, VINYL..27' ROUND.. HAYWARD 24" SAND FILTER W/ HAYWARD 1 HP POWERFLO.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Start up CYA question.....

Given that you apparently do not even have the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... and let the kit endure the winter outside ... I would ditch it and order one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Why do you think you needed to adjust the pH or TA ... they were perfect

That stabilizer would have only added 40ppm ... so one of your 2 tests were wrong.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As I am typing this I am in the process of adding to adjust the TA and PH ...but you are right, they are at acceptable levels...not sure what I was thinking thanks. As far as the CYA , I thought the same thing, should be right on @ 40 ppm.
    I assume the chlorine should drop in a few days.....I just ordered the TF-100 kit.

thanks again
    18,500 AG, VINYL..27' ROUND.. HAYWARD 24" SAND FILTER W/ HAYWARD 1 HP POWERFLO.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is where you want to be
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Here is how you get there
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    using Pool School - PoolMath
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach