Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy Saltwater Pool with Algae, I need your guidance!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Saltwater Pool with Algae, I need your guidance!

Hi! I am new to TFP and have read many threads to try to solve my problem before starting my own thread!
    I have had an AG saltwater pool since 2008 and other than having to replace the SWG due to lightening strike, the pump because it died and the actual pool in 2013 because it was totally rusted out I have really not had many problems. My water has for the most part always been crystal clear until now. My pool water has been cloudy since Mother's Day and I believe I have an algae problem. I have, of course, been back and forth to the pool store with no success other than wasting money! So in a desperate attempt I came across this site and now, I turn to the pool geniuses, all of you, for your help! Being an RN I consider myself to have more patience than most but this is about to drive me crazy! I have tried to gather all the information you may need and tried to do as many of the suggestions I have seen in other posts but now I feel like I may need step by step guidance!

I received my FAS-DPD test finally and my results as of this afternoon at 5:39 are:
    FC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 80
    CH 410 (the color wanted to stay purple but I finally got it to blue!)
    CYA 20 (I saw the black dot until the water was ALL the way to the top, I guestimate it to be about 20)
    CC 0.5

I also ordered the K-1766 Salt Kit but have not received it yet. And my understanding is I don't need to worry about the salt at this time. Prior to receiving my kit, I have been pouring 1 gallon of Great Value Bleach in each night in an effort to do something/anything to help! I vacuumed the pool yesterday as best I could not being able to see the bottom. I also cleaned my salt water cell this weekend. After the cleaning I still have the solid 'Check Salt' and 'Inspect Cell' lights on.

The readings on my AquaTrol SWG this afternoon, although I have never been able to figure out what all of them mean...in this order as I press the diagnostic button:
    100p
    AL-7
    r1.45

Like I said, I tried to include all the information including today's picture below, but I am sure I have missed something! Your help is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tiffany Black, 24x 54 (15,200 gallons) Saltwater 8000 Round, Vinyl, AG, Dream Line High Rate Sand Filter, Hayward Powerflo LX 1.5 HP pump, SWG, FAS-DPD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Saltwater Pool with Algae, I need your guidance!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Good job getting a test kit
    Which one specifically, since you might need to order refill now.

Sounds like your CYA is less than 20ppm.
    You should add about 20-30ppm of CYA, lower the pH a bit, and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process with bleach (turn the SWG off).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your reply! I got the K-2006 test kit. I have already turned the SWG off. What do you recommend to add to increase my CYA? I am sorry but I have read so many threads I can't see the forest for the trees at this point!
    Tiffany Black, 24x 54 (15,200 gallons) Saltwater 8000 Round, Vinyl, AG, Dream Line High Rate Sand Filter, Hayward Powerflo LX 1.5 HP pump, SWG, FAS-DPD

4. Back To Top    #4

Tiffany, you add CYA to increase CYA. It is sold in liquid or granular form at WalMart.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Recommended Pool Chemicals

I would also order refills for FAS-DPD and the CYA tests now as the K-2006 is too stingy.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much! I really hate to sound like an idiot but I am definitely feeling like one right now! I made notes that bleach = sanitizer, baking soda increases alkalinity, borax increases pH but apparently I didn't make a note about the CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

I am confused about why I would need to decrease my pH...shouldn't it be 7.5 - 7.8. I am definitely not questioning the suggestion, I am just trying to understand!

Thanks for your help!

7. Back To Top    #7

Because the first step of the SLAM process is to lower the pH.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate taking notes, but it is all written out for you in Pool School.

Also, using PoolMath to calculate your chemical additions will tell you what chemicals to use.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the link! I definitely need it!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

we will get you going

use pool math to know exactly what and how much to add to your pool http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    you will need to add CYA to get started HTH Stabilizer and Conditioner: Outdoor Play : Walmart.com
    you want to start out at CYA of 30 until your done slamming, if you are at a CYA of 10/20 you would add 2 pounds of CYA and test 7 days from when you add it.. once added, put 30 CYA in both column's in pool math until you test in 7 days...
    add bleach/chlorine Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart you need to keep your chlorine above 12 as much as humanly possible, go to 14 and stay above 12... in the pool calc, put what you test at in the left column and put 14 in the right, it will tell you how much to add, this is your freebie you would put 2.5 gallons of 8.25% 128oz bleach bottles, let circulate 1 hour and test and put that number in the left column and add what it says..

let us know what the next reading is...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you so much! Just to clarify, I only need to get my CYA to 30 to start the SLAM? And, if I use liquid stabilizer do I still need to wait 7 days to test it?

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes.
    No.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

This morning I did still have FC of 1.5 which is better than 0! I went ahead and tested my CYA and got 55. I tried to dissolve the granules instead of paying big money for the liquid form. It didn't exactly go as I had hoped and turned into more of a slush so I was somewhat concerned about it. My understanding is 55 is ok but means I have to use more chlorine to shock. So now with a CYA of 55 my FC goal is 24? I am new at this and would like some clarification that I am on the right train of thought.

My numbers at 0730...
    FC 1.5
    PH 7.2
    CYA 55
    CC 0.5

Thanks so much for your help!

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, the Chlorine/CYA chart shows an FC of 24 for CYA of 60. Keep it there (24) and don't let that FC drop until you pass all 3 requirements of the SLAM. Be patient and good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Excellent...thanks so much! I plan to keep that FC up today!

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

you are correct

the recommendation for SWG pool is 70/80 CYA but it does make it harder to SLAM..

For SLAM you want it closer to 30 CYA but you are fine....

you do NOT want to go below 20fc, add to 24/26 and test as much as you can.. if it goes below 22 add again to take it to 24/26, even if it is 1 hour later...

the last time before you go to sleep add 30fc, that is below mustard/yellow algae from here Chlorine/CYA Chart that will get you through the night
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

16. Back To Top    #16

I will have added a grand total of 14 gallons of bleach today shortly! I had to make a trip to get more and was gone longer that I expected...you know you see everyone in
    Wal-mart and have to block the aisles to talk! Below is my break down!
    0742 FC 1.5/PH 7.2/CYA 55/CC 0.5...swept/moved steps/added 7 gallons
    1256 FC 15.5...swept/moved steps/added 3 gallons
    1530 FC 25.5...swept/moved steps/none added
    1915 FC 20.5...swept/moved steps/added 2 gallons
    2240 FC 23...adding 2 gallons to get up to 30 through the night

Am I testing enough or should I be testing after adding the bleach just to get the levels? Tomorrow I probably wont be home as much as I was today so should my goal be to get the FC high enough to sustain until I get back like upping to 30 over night?

I am actually enjoying this process thanks to all of your help and information! I usually nurse people but right now I am feeling like a pool nurse!

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

you are on it, bring it up a little higher when you will be gone, you don't want it below 20..

Keep it up, your chlorine/bleach amount will get less as you kill those greenies

you are on your way to a crystal clear pool

18. Back To Top    #18

Wow! That pool was eating up some chlorine over night! At 0815 this morning the FC was 19! The water looks much clearer as you can see in the photo however there is a lot settled on the bottom! I am about to vacuum it with my nifty pool vac that does not attach to the pool to get some of that mess out of there!

19. Back To Top    #19

The more junk you can vacuum out the less work the chlorine has to do. The chlorine will try to oxidize anything organic, so help it work,by getting stuff off the bottom. Don't forget skimmer baskets and things like that - keep them cleaned out of leaves.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

20. Back To Top    #20

Day 18 and I am still at it! The water does look tremendously better but I surely didn't anticipate owning stock in bleach at this point! To the best of my calculations I have added 60 gallons of bleach! Around day 7 I had to order refills for FC and CYA testing. While I was not able to test I kept pouring bleach in like I was before I ran out. I am still losing FC because of the sweltering sun and have added more stabilizer in an effort to hold the FC. However I am not losing to the extent I was when I began this challenge!
    FC 06/21 2042 was 24...added 1 gallon of 10% bleach
    06/22 1229 23...am about to add 2 gallons to get above 30
    PH 7.5 - 7.6
    TA 90
    CH 80
    CYA 50
    CC <0.5
    20150616_183922_resized.jpg

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast