newbie chlorine ?

Jun 4, 2015
Falmouth, ME
We have a 36,000 gallon, in-ground pool with liner. I stumbled across this website and am intrigued to forgo "pool company chemicals" and embrace the DIY approach you guys practice....so suffice it to say I am a NEWBIE. I just discovered the 'pool chemical calculator' and the uber-techy test kit forums but am wondering.....
1) can you really put clorox/ chlorine bleach, borax and arm and hammer right into the pool?
2) will it damage the linerl?
3) do you need to wait X hours/ minutes after putting said products into the pool?
4) how badly can I screw this up on my own??
While fascinated by all that you post - I am admittedly intimidated. Do I need to get my new test kit before embarking on any of this, or could I try upping my Alkalinity with some arm and hammer without worrying too much? (the water test done at the pool company has my TA at 17 with a goal of 125-150)

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I will expound on the previous post a bit ;)

1. Yes. The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS. See link below for recommended chemicals and how to add them.

2. Not if you keep the pool balanced and add the chemicals correctly (same as with the pool store potions).

3. Usually you only need about 30 minutes before it is safe to swim, even less for some of the chemicals.

4. No worse that the pool store could screw it up for you.

I would not make any adjustments based on pool store testing. Very unreliable. Investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits is the best first step.

Sounds like you discovered Pool School already, but take a look at these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome to TFP!

1. Yes
2. Yes, if you do it wrong, but you can do that with any form of chlorine. A proper test kit prevent this by letting you know your true CYA level and true FC level.
3. Typically a half hour before entering the pool is more than sufficient. Same between adding bleach and muriatic acid.
4. No more than you can screw up by doing what the pool store tells you to do. Actually, I would say considerably less.

To properly maintain a pool using the TFPC methods you will need a test kit up to task. The TF-100 is my kit of choice, available at the link in my signature. The k-2006 is also a good choice but can't do as many of the most important tests. I wouldn't do anything until you have test results that you got yourself. Pool store testing is not reliable by any means.

Finally, intimidating, yes. Difficult to grasp at first? Sometimes. But you have a whole bunch of people here to help you start. It really isn't difficult after you do it yourself for a couple of weeks. After a few months you will get called an expert :D

BTW, if you could add your pool information to your signature that will help us help you in the future. Really appreciate it!

Hello PoolmomME! Lots of members on this site for good reason ....it works and works very well. I hope you will take a few moments to read the links below in my sig to give you a basic understanding of TFP. Many of us asked the very same questions you did. :) Also take a moment to update your profile "signature" to include your pool info for future reference and/or questions you may post. Have a good evening, and we hope you will give TFP a try. You'll be glad to you did.

1) can you really put clorox/ chlorine bleach, borax and arm and hammer right into the pool?

Just remember these are some of the exact same chemicals the pool store is selling you under a different name.

Chlorox / chlorine bleach is chemically identical to the liquid chlorine sold by pool stores, the only real difference is the liquid chlorine is often slightly more concentrated, which also causes it to have a shorter shelf life

Baking Soda is Sodium Bicarbonate, the EXACT SAME STUFF the pool store sells to adjust TA, the only difference is the labelling

Hello and Welcome :handwave: all the posts above are on the money. I'm new here also and these same folks have helped me gain control of my own pool. What I didn't know I read and learned HERE. Plus ANY questions you can't find an answer too, just post it here and they will answer-- Most promptly !:goodjob: The most important thing I think you can do (other than reading and learning) is have a good test kit. You'll find most people here praising the TF100. For a good reason, it is a great test kit and easy to use. In a nutshell, what I spent on the test kit and speedstir (I personally recommend this), and walmart bleach was less than I would spend on one trip to the pool store and their oh so pricey advice. Who would have thought owning and maintaining could be this easy. I now have too much time on my hands ;)

Trust me, this method works and will not cause damage to anything but cloudy water. I am so glad I found this site while I was a newbie. It made me realize that I knew nothing about balanced water. I'm not the type to depend on others (like the pool store). I'm always a bit skeptical and need to know why I'm adding this or that. Now I'm educated and understand how my pool reacts to different things. I can stay on top of things before they go bad. I've never had cloudy or green water. And I close and open a crystal clear pool every year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope I can put those in my pool. If not, then the last few years have been a big mistake.

Look at my pool in my sig below, that is what happens when you put bleach and borax in your pool. :)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I will expound on the previous post a bit ;)

1. Yes. The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS. See link below for recommended chemicals and how to add them.

2. Not if you keep the pool balanced and add the chemicals correctly (same as with the pool store potions).

3. Usually you only need about 30 minutes before it is safe to swim, even less for some of the chemicals.

4. No worse that the pool store could screw it up for you.

I would not make any adjustments based on pool store testing. Very unreliable. Investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits is the best first step.

Sounds like you discovered Pool School already, but take a look at these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

THANK YOU!!!! I ordered the TFT-100 pool test kit and will update my pool info ASAP. Thanks for all the encouragement, links and assists!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.