Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Cooper Pool stain

1. Back To Top    #1

New Cooper Pool stain

Hello, I just had my above ground pool installed last summer. When I opened it this summer it was clear as could be but within a week there was a large black stain across the bottom of the liner that would not scrub off not matter how hard I tried. I went to my pool store and was told it was a copper stain from using Kleen Pool algicide. They have had me dumping lo and slow into the pool to reduce the PH level and claim once it is under 6 that the stain will magically lift and go back into solution. I have now bought 4 8 lb canisters of lo and slow to lower my PH and the stain does not appear to be lifting (although it may be getting lighter I'm not sure). My PH is now at 6.3 and my alkalinity is extremely low because of all of the lo and slow I have used. Please help, how can I get rid of this stain without continuing to buy the lo and slow and how can I prevent it from coming back again? Thank you in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Cooper Pool stain

Welcome to TFP!!!

Step away from the pool store with your wallet in your pocket

You can not remove a stain by just lower the pH ... and there are certainly better and cheaper products to lower the pH.

How big is the stain? Add pictures.
    What test kit are you using?

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are the photos of the stain. Thank you so much for your help. I do not use a test kit, I just bring my water to the pool store and they tell me what I need.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

So, do you see the problem with asking them to test your water and then telling you what you have to buy? Bit of a conflict of interest, or a fantastic business plan.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well yes I guess I do. But I have not had a problem with them until this stain incident and just thought that is what people do. So that is why I am here for some help.
    Mike, 10,000 gallon, 24 foot round Sharkline above ground pool, sand filter with 2 speed motor, use hose water from house to fill in Rochester, NY. Installed in July 2014.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

you have seen the light

get yourself a good test kit, that will allow you to take over your pool... The TF100 is a great test kit but you can also use the k2006, it just has less reagents.. The K2006C has more..

Add the xl option if you will be doing a slam, it has more of the reagents you will use.. also, the speed stir is "nice" to have but not required..
    TFTestkits.net

Amazon.com : Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Newer copper stains can be removed using citric acid. However, you'll need to get the copper out of your pool and that will require either water replacement or ongoing use of a metal sequestrant product or short-term use of the CuLator product (contacting the company directly if it doesn't work initially; we've had mixed results but when they help directly it's been OK).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"