Convert Intex 12 FT x 30 IN Metal Frame 1-1/4 IN Plumbing to 1-1/2 IN Plumbing

Alright everyone. The last 3 years we had a 12x30 EasySet pool with the combo pump and SWCG (1-1/2" plumbing). This was accomplished with cutting the holes in the side of the EasySet pool bigger to allow for the larger connections. Worked great, no leaks or anything.

I want to do the same thing with this new Metal Frame version, however, I've been looking at pictures, and it looks like the newer versions are now shipping with a dual intake setup. Looks to have dual 1-1/4" intakes with a 'T' into a 1-1/4" single tube. I'm trying to figure out the best way to implement the larger pump. Do I make both intake holes bigger, and figure out a way to plumb both intakes? Plug one, and do the same thing I did last year?

Anyone done this?

I'm in the same boat as you, for now I used the plug and one outlet serves no purpose. I read on here someone used the inlet for the outlet (switched it around) and had two inlets. I like that idea as I bought a skimmer anyways. Figuring the two inlets would stir up the water more. I bought the Type B adapters and those are working well. can't view in my mind how to plumb the T using the provided smaller hoses and connecting the larger hose. Maybe this weekend I'll look at using the adapter (will have to buy two more) to connect the 1.5 in hose to the smaller T.

The new pools have two 1.25" INLETS. The inlets go to a plunger valve T fitting and get combined into one 1.5" pipe. You do not need to modify this. The 2 pipes will keep up with much larger pumps if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

The only mod you might want to do is only use one inlet and plumb the second 1.25" pipe to a skimmer.

Ah, excellent, did not know they went to the bigger pipe after the T adapter! I'm going to get the 2800gph sand filter to go with this pool, and thought I'd have to cut the liner again. So, I'm assuming that the output pipe is also 1.5" as well? That will make my job easier. I already have the deluxe skimmer, so hope to be able to plug that into one of the 1.25" openings somehow...

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you, for now I used the plug and one outlet serves no purpose. I read on here someone used the inlet for the outlet (switched it around) and had two inlets. I like that idea as I bought a skimmer anyways. Figuring the two inlets would stir up the water more. I bought the Type B adapters and those are working well. can't view in my mind how to plumb the T using the provided smaller hoses and connecting the larger hose. Maybe this weekend I'll look at using the adapter (will have to buy two more) to connect the 1.5 in hose to the smaller T.

Ah, I missed your reply initially. Sounds more like our smaller 12' pools may not have the larger hose coming out of the T. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I'll have to make modifications or not.

Well, unfortunately, this pool uses all 1-1/4" hoses and fittings, even the T is 1-1/4" all the way around. Bummer. The new 2800 gph sand filter pump will be here Monday, and it appears that I have misplaced, or got rid of all my 1-1/2" hoses, plunger valves, and pool fittings...I can't believe I would have thrown said stuff away, but it's looking more and more like that happened! Didn't know those plunger valves were such a rare item!

Rather than spend over $150 trying to get 3 of them, I'm thinking about hard plumbing the fixtures that pass through the pool wall. I can order most of the parts through Intex, and then get the PVC adapter, ball valve, and a few feet of spa hoses. I will of course have to cut the ports in the liner bigger for the 1-1/2" gear, but I've done that before without any problems.

The only part Intex seems to be out of is the L-shaped o-ring, which is normally on the pump side fitting where a hose hooks up. From some earlier reading, this appears to be the perfect seal when using the PVC adapter...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think for me, in the same situation as you, will try to set this up as you mentioned below. I can then use one for the strainer and the other for debris floating, but not quite to the top for the other outlet. Maybe one day I'll try using the inlet as the outlet (using the strainer), and have two inlets to really churn up the water from below. The inlet isn't as nice as my old 1.5 inch upgrade, but I am reluctant to cut holes again. I already bought and installed the adapters and am using them for the 1.5 inch hoses for my pump and that is working fine.

Another option would be to use the 1-1/4" hoses on the strainers, but find a way to connect them to a T that had a single 1-1/2" exit, and just go bigger from there. Saves me from cutting two holes in the liner.

Decided to go ahead and replace all the 1-1/4" fittings on the pool. Ordered all my parts from Intex (minus one strainer nut, because of Intex's dumb quantity limiting, so eBay got my money instead). Had to piece together pump hoses, and adapters to get all my hose nuts for the same reasons...

Will make a trip to each Home Depot and Lowes to check out the ball valves and other plumbing I'm going to need.

Anyone have any recommendations on the ball valves? Seems like the Legend brand from HD are $3 cheaper than the American brand from Lowes...

Hope to have everything by the weekend to start putting together before the kids kill me for not having their pool setup.

Finally got it done. Learned a lot of lessons in the process, the first being that flexible PVC isn't very...flexible. Also, if at all possible, try and find slip joint ball valves. I will have to redo all my threaded connections because each one is dripping ever so slightly. Decided it's not worth doing until the season is over, but the trick is applying the thread sealant to all the threads using a brush or your finger, I just did a bead which spanned maybe 3-4 threads, and this wasn't enough. You can tell from the picture below, that the joint on the right is about 3 threads deeper into the socket. This is with finger tight plus one turn with the wrench, on both sides, so he sealant application makes a difference.

See pictures a couple posts down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.