Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trouble with TCI Reading

1. Back To Top    #1

Trouble with TCI Reading

Trouble with TCI Reading, can you please help...

I am new to TFP and hope that I can find some answers

I have never had this issue in previous years.... but this year is the TCI reading it appears to
    be off the chart ... actually dark in color unsure (it suppose to be a teal blue, lol)

I use a filter in the pool pump and fresh water.
    inground pool - 12000 gallons

Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed, please and thank you
    kind regards,
    Toni2177

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trouble with TCI Reading

Welcome to TFP!!!

I have no idea what a TCI is.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

I don't know what TCI is either. Maybe these links will help translate.
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TCI?

total calcium, as in CH?? just my guess, please verify
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

What are you testing with where you see that acronym?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome!

It sounds like you're using test strips.

Those just don't cut it. They give Total Chlorine which doesn't differentiate between Free Chlorine (good) and Combined Chlorine (bad)

If your free chlorine is way high, it can actually bleach out the colors and make it look lower than it is.
    If you do the instinctive thing and set the strip on the color guide, the surface tension can wick water from one test to the other and skew the colors
    They're also very sensitive to the time factor.
    And they're not really all that precise. Look at the CYA. 0 / 30-50 / 100 / 150 / 300. What if you're at 60?
    Finally, test strips tend to be wildly inconsistent. How do you know if you got a good batch or not? Simple. You don't.

If you want to use our method to get your pool crystal clear and sparkling and troublefree for the rest of the season, you'll need to start with your own proper test kit. With accurate test results, we can walk you through just about anything.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

hello toni2177, Welcome ! I too am curious what you mean by TCI. As Jblizzle stated above, if you could post your pool particulars AND what you are using to test that would allow us to help to you get your pool on track. Please check out the links listed by pooldv and that should help unravel the mystery. Also I might add, we are big on having the right test kit as that is the only way these fine people can help you. They can help you control your own pool EASILY if they have the right info. Otherwise it is a shot in the dark and impossible to help you get your pool on the right track. I anxiously await your next post
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir