We just bought a house with our first pool- 10k gallon, IG, marcite with DE filter. I used my new Taylor K-2006 test kit and got the following results:
FC: 2.2 ppm
CC: 0.4 ppm
CH: 750 (tested twice to be sure)
CYA: well over 100. Local pool store test said 195 and the water mixture was just below the 1.8 ml mark in the vial when the dot disappeared.
I know we need to drain the pool. We are unable to keep the FCl up I assume because of the high stabilizer level. And are battling algae. Our tap hardness is only 100 ppm, so I'm guessing the former owners must have used a ton of powdered sanitizer to get the levels this high. We are using basic bleach for sanitizer.
I have 2 questions:
1) do we run any risk of hurting the pool by draining half at once? This still won't get the CYA down enough, but it's a start.
2) can we use this water on our lawn and shrubs, or will the cyanuric acid hurt the vegetation?
Any guidance is appreciated.