21 foot AG 52 Inches Deep.Chrystal Clear Water
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter Model S166T.Taylor Test Kit # k2006
    TEST RESULTS
    FC 1.5
    PH 7.8
    TA 120
    CH 180
    CYA 0

Little about POOL 10 Years Old.New Liner Installed late Last Year . Filled With City Water.Did Not Use Much maybe 2 to 3 weeks then closed for season
    used pool store closing kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: loosing chlorine fast

Welcome to TFP!!!

If your CYA is 0, then you would lose all your FC to the sun in a few hours.

What does the water look like now?

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome grayham!

According to your numbers it sounds like the Sun is getting the FC. Bring it on up to 40-50 and see how that does for you.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

water is very clear

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you have CYA in the fall?
    Was this a new fresh fill?
    Did you test the CC?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hello Grayham! Kudos on doing your own tests with a proper test kit. I think we all see the same thing ... no CYA. It's like trying to keep coins in your pants pocket with a hole in it. Once you add some stabilizer in there as advised above, it will serve as sunscreen for your free chlorine (FC) and you'll see much better results. By the way ....... welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

yes on cc test it was 0.50. and on cya last fall i did not know anything about it until i started to do my own testing this year.pool store installed new liner late last year.filled with city water.was told to shock once a week and check ph level

- - - Updated - - -

i added bleach after dark tonight.i put to much in raised FC to 4.0 opps.

8. Back To Top    #8

I will be starting the cya process this saturday.what is best to use powder or liquid ? .starting at half of what poolmath said to do. then add a little as it starts to gain in ppm,s .

9. Back To Top    #9

You can use either the granules or the liquid. The liquid is a bit quicker of course, but I think costs a little more. The granules have to be placed in a sock by your skimmer so it can be slowly dissolved and ingested into your skimmer.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

10. Back To Top    #10

CYA granuales are by far less expensive than the liquid.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

New test
    FC-3 , CC- 0.5 , PH- 7.8- 8.0 , TA- 120 , CH- 200-250 , CYA- 30-35 .

13. Back To Top    #13

Those are much better numbers than before. Although you may want to bring that PH down a bit to your recommended 7.5-7.8 range. Don't let the FC drop below 3. After a few more days, check the CYA again. You don't need to check that every day.

14. Back To Top    #14

THANKS to TFP and all members for help. with TFP and group of good people and my taylor test kit i dont see the need to be running to pool store with water samples every other couple of days.i will continue to use TFP . I was told by my pappy every day you learn something new that was a good day !!! .

15. Back To Top    #15

Amen to that! Stay in touch and post if you have any more questions.

16. Back To Top    #16

Right on!

Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach