Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Teach me your chemistry!

1. Back To Top    #1

Teach me your chemistry!

Ok, so I'm ditching the pool store and I'm going to need your help! My pool looks amazing after you all helped me through a nasty algae issue. I had the water tested assuming it would be perfect because it just looks SO pretty! Unfortunately, it isn't and they (of course) suggested that I purchase 4 different products to balance it. I know my first step is to purchase my own tester. Can y'all recommend one that is accurate and decently priced? Ok, for the chemistry...... here are the readings they came up with. I just did a huge dose of chlorine to kill the algae so why am I back down to zero?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Teach me your chemistry!

Easy, here is the kit you want. Do not confuse cost with value. This is the best value out there for a test kit

TFTestkits.net

The chlorine question is easy, your pool consumes chlorine every day. You have to add it every day.

The teaching is above this post under the link to Pool School.

Oh, Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Whoa, you add chlorine every day?! Wow! So then I need to just figure out the alkalinity and CYA issues. Ok, off to pool school I go!

4. Back To Top    #4

Many of us have been in your shoes and you are making the best decision imaginable to test and maintain your own pool. I was ignorant of basic principles allowing the pool store to misguide me. With TFP, and my TF-100 test kit, my pool is crystal and requires very little effort to maintain. As you go through the TFP site and/or the links below in my sig, you'll begin to understand why it works....and what the pool stores do NOT tell you.

Oh, and don't forget to update your "signature" located under you profile settings with your pool information. That comes-in quite handy. Welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, to steal Richards line, a pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even on days you don't want play with it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, between bathers and sun, you will have to add chlorine frequently. Initially, it will likely be everyday. At this moment, you must add some or you are going to be fighting algae again. Use Pool School to figure out how much. Once you get it under control and start to understand the chemistry, you might be able to go two days but you will have to check it everyday. There are ways to add liquid chlorine of you desire but that is probably a bit in the future.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

7. Back To Top    #7

BTW, according to their test your TA (total alkalinity) is perfect. Don't listen to their recommendations.

That is assuming their test is correct, which it often is not.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is the first lesson.
    1. Dont listen to the pool store. Their adivce and testing is horrible.
    2. Get your own test kit and test the water yourself.

While you are learning the chemistry (it takes a while to soak it all up), use these following 'tools' to maintain your water parameters. You will needing these from now on, so book mark them or print them out for quick reference.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome from a former PSHS Wildcat ('94)

I'm now far...at the western end of Spring Creek Pky
    15k in-ground pool, plaster, Aquapure 1400 (whole new cell/cables/sensor 5/25/15), Pentaire Cartridge filter, Ruud heater(2/13), Polaris 360 pressure side cleaner (10/14), some other stuff...