borax/borates as softener

JLS

Jun 3, 2015
Winnipeg/MB
I've decided to stick with my 3 step bromine method for ease of use and because we don't use more than a couple of times per week. I have seen mention that using Gentle Spa OR a combo of Borax and Acid can turn your spa water into silky goodness for the skin. Although we have lovely softened city water, my skin tends to dry out when I use the spa and this sounds very appealing. After a little more research, I'm seeing some warnings that Gentle Spa may not be the best way to go because of the imbalance it can create and it is expensive. So Borax it it!
Question 1 - is this truly worth using to "soften" the water? That's really my only intention with it.
Question 2 - what is the muriatic acid and where do I find it? Are there any "already in my home" substitutes such as vinegar?

Borates seemed to make my water feel nicer. They definitely don't make it worse. :) We also have some epsom salt in there too. Maybe 1000 or 2000 ppm of salt would soften it more?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.