Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: borax/borates as softener

1. Back To Top    #1

borax/borates as softener

I've decided to stick with my 3 step bromine method for ease of use and because we don't use more than a couple of times per week. I have seen mention that using Gentle Spa OR a combo of Borax and Acid can turn your spa water into silky goodness for the skin. Although we have lovely softened city water, my skin tends to dry out when I use the spa and this sounds very appealing. After a little more research, I'm seeing some warnings that Gentle Spa may not be the best way to go because of the imbalance it can create and it is expensive. So Borax it it!
    Question 1 - is this truly worth using to "soften" the water? That's really my only intention with it.
    Question 2 - what is the muriatic acid and where do I find it? Are there any "already in my home" substitutes such as vinegar?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: borax/borates as softener

1) Purely your opinion if it is worth it ... it can help stabilize the pH too.
    2) Available at any hardware or pool store. No substitutes: Recommended Pool Chemicals

You could use boric acid instead of the borax + muriatic acid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

You can get boric acid from Duda Diesel or The Chemistry Store.

I'm not so sure you will experience the "softening" you want by using borates. They are primarily used as a pH buffer particularly in spas that have the TA level be low when using bleach as the disinfectant.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Borates seemed to make my water feel nicer. They definitely don't make it worse. We also have some epsom salt in there too. Maybe 1000 or 2000 ppm of salt would soften it more?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach