Starting with BBB method

A friend has a pool exactly like mine and is setting hers up using BBB method. We are both new to this so if you could help get us started that would be great. She does not have the SWG like mine does. She just drained and refilled it. Ph is 7.8 and there have been no chemicals added... So what do we do now?

The pH is in range, and the stabilizer will push it down a bot, so it's fine.

So, yeah, I concur with the others. Use poolmath to calculate how much 2 ppm FC is in that pool and add it. Expect it all be gone tomorrow. Calculate how much stabilizer she needs to get to 30-40 CYA and fill a sock and set that in the basket to dissolve. Tomorrow, add the same amount of bleach. By day three, aim a little higher on FC.

Definitely get a test kit coming. There just ain't no way to maintain a pool our way without one.

Why would you add other products (whether or not they start with B is irrelevant and also why we do not use the BBB term any more) if the test results do not call for it?

What volume did you set in PoolMath?
What bleach strength?
What target FC level?
83oz sounds like way too much.

I put 10000 gallons. I set the fc target at 4. But I changed it to 2 and it said add 42 oz of 6% bleach. And add the stabilizer. So I need at add this same amount of bleach everyday for 3 days? I'm sorry for my confusion this is my 1st year to do this on my own. Thank you all so much for your help!!!

I put 10000 gallons. I set the fc target at 4. But I changed it to 2 and it said add 42 oz of 6% bleach. And add the stabilizer. So I need at add this same amount of bleach everyday for 3 days? I'm sorry for my confusion this is my 1st year to do this on my own. Thank you all so much for your help!!!
Yes. pretty much. With zero CYA, you target 2. The target doesn't go any higher until you pass the 30 mark on CYA, and the majority if not all of it should be dissolved in three days. When it's dissolved, just assume you reached the target CYA and adjust the target FC accordingly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably closer to 11k gallons.
You need to add the stabilizer (30ppm).
And then daily (not just 3 days) test the FC and add enough bleach so that the FC never drops below the minimum for your CYA level. Once the CYA starts dissolving, assume the target level to get your required FC levels. See the FC/CYA Chart.

I was new to pool math too. I had to go in and adjust all the settings to match my pool and the products I was using.
Be sure to double check all your info.
Sometimes my browser resets and I have to adjust it. Watch for changes when you open it up because mine defaults to 6% bleach at 96 ounce jugs often and I have to change it.
Second be sure yo are putting in correct target numbers and now numbers. Once you play around you'll see it's super easy to use.
-Amber

Welcome to TFP Donna,

It's only intimidating and seemingly complicated at first. There will be a point very soon where you won't believe you thought it was at all. You'll get there soon, don't worry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.