Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting with BBB method

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting with BBB method

A friend has a pool exactly like mine and is setting hers up using BBB method. We are both new to this so if you could help get us started that would be great. She does not have the SWG like mine does. She just drained and refilled it. Ph is 7.8 and there have been no chemicals added... So what do we do now?
    Intex 22'x52" above ground pool with cartridge filter and Intex SWG
    k2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting with BBB method

got a TF-100? first thing you both need. add chlorine to keep algae at bay.

as soon as you get the TF-100, run a complete set of tests and post them all here and you will get instructions on what to do next.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

If the water is new, then you need to add 30ppm of stabilizer (CYA) and maintain adequate FC.

Agree you both should have one of the Recommended Test Kits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the k2006 test kit. That's how I got ph was 7.8. When I added the scoops to test chlorine is did not turn pink at all. It is brand new fresh water.
    k2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

So there is no chlorine in it .... add 2ppm and get the CYA dissolving in a sock.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I was going to add bleach but I don't know how much. I am trying to use the calculator on here and it is suggesting 83 oz of bleach. Does that sound right? The other Bs are borax and baking soda- do I add any of that?
    k2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

The pH is in range, and the stabilizer will push it down a bot, so it's fine.

So, yeah, I concur with the others. Use poolmath to calculate how much 2 ppm FC is in that pool and add it. Expect it all be gone tomorrow. Calculate how much stabilizer she needs to get to 30-40 CYA and fill a sock and set that in the basket to dissolve. Tomorrow, add the same amount of bleach. By day three, aim a little higher on FC.

Definitely get a test kit coming. There just ain't no way to maintain a pool our way without one.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Why would you add other products (whether or not they start with B is irrelevant and also why we do not use the BBB term any more) if the test results do not call for it?

What volume did you set in PoolMath?
    What bleach strength?
    What target FC level?
    83oz sounds like way too much.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I put 10000 gallons. I set the fc target at 4. But I changed it to 2 and it said add 42 oz of 6% bleach. And add the stabilizer. So I need at add this same amount of bleach everyday for 3 days? I'm sorry for my confusion this is my 1st year to do this on my own. Thank you all so much for your help!!!
    k2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Donnapatton2005 View Post
    I put 10000 gallons. I set the fc target at 4. But I changed it to 2 and it said add 42 oz of 6% bleach. And add the stabilizer. So I need at add this same amount of bleach everyday for 3 days? I'm sorry for my confusion this is my 1st year to do this on my own. Thank you all so much for your help!!!
    Yes. pretty much. With zero CYA, you target 2. The target doesn't go any higher until you pass the 30 mark on CYA, and the majority if not all of it should be dissolved in three days. When it's dissolved, just assume you reached the target CYA and adjust the target FC accordingly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Probably closer to 11k gallons.
    You need to add the stabilizer (30ppm).
    And then daily (not just 3 days) test the FC and add enough bleach so that the FC never drops below the minimum for your CYA level. Once the CYA starts dissolving, assume the target level to get your required FC levels. See the FC/CYA Chart.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Also, check the bleach. Most household bleach is now 8.25% and 121 oz. So if you don't change it in poolmath you will over shoot a little.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you all!!!
    k2006 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I was new to pool math too. I had to go in and adjust all the settings to match my pool and the products I was using.
    Be sure to double check all your info.
    Sometimes my browser resets and I have to adjust it. Watch for changes when you open it up because mine defaults to 6% bleach at 96 ounce jugs often and I have to change it.
    Second be sure yo are putting in correct target numbers and now numbers. Once you play around you'll see it's super easy to use.
    -Amber
    24 ft round 52 in Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, Hayward S180T pump sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method, Borates Added, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (Rincon/Savannah,GA)

15. Back To Top    #15

Welcome to TFP Donna,

It's only intimidating and seemingly complicated at first. There will be a point very soon where you won't believe you thought it was at all. You'll get there soon, don't worry.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

16. Back To Top    #16

if you have the K2006, run a full battery of tests and post them here so you can get input on anything else that may be needed
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;