Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slamming with NO CYA!! Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Slamming with NO CYA!! Help!

Hello! Yet again we closed inappropriately so now we pay the price! Trying to get pool opened and started slamming Monday! Still at it ... Problem was I was out of CYA reagent so I was keeping FC at 20 as a best guess...got the reagent yesterday and results are nil! I've tested twice to be sure and the mixture is completely clear! So assuming this is accurate and I have none...is this going to make slamming easier or more difficult?? And as frequently as we are back washing, I'm not seeing how I could add any stabilizer at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Results at first test this am:

pH 7.6
    FC 11.6
    CC 2
    Alk 110
    CH 100
    11600gal AG Doughboy, 24' x 48", Pool Power-Pak II, 115vac - 60Hz - 3450 RPM, 0-1086-200 - 1 HP - 10 amps, 1 speed, Media Master Series (high rate sand filter), Model 0-1701-016, Filter media - 150 lbs, No. 20 filter sand

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slamming with NO CYA!! Help!

With no CYA, you are going to lose a LOT of FC to the sun daily ... like maybe all of it.

I would raise the CYA to about 30ppm and continue the SLAM process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jakin, when looking at the Chlorine/CYA chart (linked below), one might assume lower (CYA) is better to save on bleach right? But not when it's below 30 as noted above by jblizzle. Then you simply lose it to the sun and defeat your purpose. You might have to hold on backwashes long enough to hold CYA at 30, then resume backwashing. Just a thought. Otherwise, you run the risk of going through a LOT or bleach during these hot days with no guarantee you'll be able to maintain the minimal FC for SLAM..
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Links and info from a previous post from JasonLion:

"It is important that the CYA level not be zero. If CYA too low, you will lose too much chlorine to sunlight, and the algae will be able to get ahead of you. If your CYA level is below 30 you should add CYA/stabilizer to around 30 ppm by putting it in a sock in the skimmer (or you can use dichlor if you have some on hand and know what you are doing). Don't pour CYA directly into the skimmer, since you will be cleaning/backwashing the filter, and any undissolved CYA will be wasted, as it can take CYA up to a week to dissolve. Remember to retest CYA and adjust as needed once the algae is gone."

Full link HERE:
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok so when I've added stabilizer before I put it in a sock and dangle it in front of the return flow. With me running my pump 24/7 I don't know how I can get away without back washing for a week. There's no way! We're doing at at least twice a day now! Do you think I'll truly loose that much by back washing? Should I try and just wait 24 hrs to back wash? I've already gone theough 18 jugs of chlorine obviously lol. Going no where fast!
    11600gal AG Doughboy, 24' x 48", Pool Power-Pak II, 115vac - 60Hz - 3450 RPM, 0-1086-200 - 1 HP - 10 amps, 1 speed, Media Master Series (high rate sand filter), Model 0-1701-016, Filter media - 150 lbs, No. 20 filter sand

6. Back To Top    #6

If you use the sock method (especially if you dangle it in front of a return and not set it in the skimmer) ... there is no real worry about backwashing.

BTW, are you only backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok good to know! I will get that going today. We've been back washing when it's only 8-10 psi over :/

8. Back To Top    #8

8-10psi rise is likely waiting longer than we recommend ... although we have to be practical if it is rising that fast of course.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok so what should I do in the meantime of getting the cya up? Keep with the slamming? I don't want it to get back to zero of course!! And back wash more frequently?

10. Back To Top    #10

Keep SLAMing. Backwash when practical, but not more often than a 20-25% pressure rise.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I swear on my life to close properly this year!! This is so dumb to do this to ourselves each year! And I thought it'd be easier this year since I've got the slamming process down. But alas now no cya lol. Always something! Is it true that if we close and cover with clear water we'll take the cover off with fairly clear water??

12. Back To Top    #12

If you close the pool late enough, boost the FC level, and open the pool early enough ... then it should be clear.
    There are articles in Pool School about closing and opening.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks so much for the advice!