In The Industry
May 31, 2015
Milford, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our pump isn't put together yet, however I would also like to get a head start on chemicals. How high should my water level be before adding liquid bleach? How much should I add for 24,000 gallon oval? Since the hose is still in the pool will that help to circulate bleach?

Hello! :wave: Lots of similar threads on this site about the same question. HERE is one such link. Probably need to let that water volume get close to the skimmer before getting real serious about chemicals. Pool School (link below) also has some good information. You can anticipate starting with some common household bleach to get your free chlorine (FC) up between 3-5 ppm, and some stabilizer to increase your CYA between 30-50. The Poolmath Calculator (link below) is a great tool to help you figure out exactly what and how much you need to add. Just plug-in the "NOW" and "TARGET" numbers.

Most important question though - do you have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit? You will need one of these to follow the TFP guidance to maintain your pool. If not, you may want to consider ordering right away from the TF-100 link below. Congrats on your new pool!

I still need to get test kit. Our son has a swim meet this weekend so things have been a bit hectic. My dad will come tomorrow to finish pump, grounding and electrical so I should be able to start adding chemicals soon!

We have about 10,000 gallons filled right now. Should I dump in more bleach? I have just put in a couple of cups that aren't even showing on test strips I have (which I know are not the correct test). I was going to swoosh it around with the hose.

Thank You Kindly!

Very good. Stay steady with those procedures until your test kit arrives and then post some numbers. TFP will be glad to assist if you need help. Continue to brush-up on your reading (links below) so you don't feel overwhelmed when you start getting more advice. Here at TFP, you'll get plenty of that :) .... in a good way of course. Enjoy your weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.