Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding chemicals while filling

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding chemicals while filling

Our pump isn't put together yet, however I would also like to get a head start on chemicals. How high should my water level be before adding liquid bleach? How much should I add for 24,000 gallon oval? Since the hose is still in the pool will that help to circulate bleach?
    24,000 gallon, 21x43 Oval Wilbur AGP installed June 2015. 10'X24' deck. 2hp Aqua Pro Cartridge Filter. Using TFP method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding chemicals while filling

Hello! Lots of similar threads on this site about the same question. HERE is one such link. Probably need to let that water volume get close to the skimmer before getting real serious about chemicals. Pool School (link below) also has some good information. You can anticipate starting with some common household bleach to get your free chlorine (FC) up between 3-5 ppm, and some stabilizer to increase your CYA between 30-50. The Poolmath Calculator (link below) is a great tool to help you figure out exactly what and how much you need to add. Just plug-in the "NOW" and "TARGET" numbers.

Most important question though - do you have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit? You will need one of these to follow the TFP guidance to maintain your pool. If not, you may want to consider ordering right away from the TF-100 link below. Congrats on your new pool!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I still need to get test kit. Our son has a swim meet this weekend so things have been a bit hectic. My dad will come tomorrow to finish pump, grounding and electrical so I should be able to start adding chemicals soon!

We have about 10,000 gallons filled right now. Should I dump in more bleach? I have just put in a couple of cups that aren't even showing on test strips I have (which I know are not the correct test). I was going to swoosh it around with the hose.

Thank You Kindly!
    24,000 gallon, 21x43 Oval Wilbur AGP installed June 2015. 10'X24' deck. 2hp Aqua Pro Cartridge Filter. Using TFP method.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would add 2ppm of FC again and stir.

Or float some tablets if you have them.
    Or even put some stabilizer in socks and float them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Should I do both stabilizer socks and bleach or just choose one thing?

6. Back To Top    #6

You need both.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You need both.
    Ok Thank You! My PH is really high right now..... 8.4. I am hoping it comes down some with FC going up but not sure when I should add Muratic Acid. Pump will hopefully get turned on tomorrow evening.

8. Back To Top    #8

Once you get the pump running, lower the pH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Got it! Sock with CYA is in now. I have it attached to our daughters floaty belt for now. FC was up to a 3 this morning.

10. Back To Top    #10

Very good. Stay steady with those procedures until your test kit arrives and then post some numbers. TFP will be glad to assist if you need help. Continue to brush-up on your reading (links below) so you don't feel overwhelmed when you start getting more advice. Here at TFP, you'll get plenty of that .... in a good way of course. Enjoy your weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!