Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broke pipe, can't get the water to stop?!?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Broke pipe, can't get the water to stop?!?!

I'm new here and before yesterday knew absolutely nothing about pools other than that you swim in them.

Created a little mess at my mom's house, hit a pipe with a lawn mower. Mom's ex used to be in charge of all things pool so neither of us know the inner workings of it.

Found the break (at the red square in the pic below), but can't seem to get the water to stop flowing! I've turned off the pump, turned off the auto-fill, attempted to block the main drains (covered with plastic held down with sand bags.) I've also closed a little cover thingy in the skimmer. Despite all of these steps, water continues to flow through the broken pipe.

I'm fairly confident I can do the PVC work if I can get the water to stop flowing. Any one know what I am missing here? Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broke pipe, can't get the water to stop?!?!

So the filter housing is empty as well? Also, perhaps the water is flowing backwards from the return jets? Did you try covering those perhaps?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Water is definitely coming backwards from the return jets and will continue to do so until the water level in the pool is lower than the damaged pipe.

- - - Updated - - -

I would drain down the pool level until the water stops so your can get the plumbing fixed ... at least then you will control where you drain the water to.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Filter housing is empty, water is definitely flowing from "right to left" in that picture.

Will need to figure out how to drain the pool without using the pump, or cover the return jets.

Thanks for the quick answers!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good luck. Not how you wanted to start your day I'm sure, but hope all goes well and quickly.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

No need to drain the pool. The returns should have an eye ball thing (that may not be the technical term) on them. They should screw off. You can get pvc plugs that will screw in to the return lines at the hardware store for less than a buck each.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sweet! THanks for the tip. Off to the hardware store (again...)

8. Back To Top    #8

That seems like more effort to me than draining a few inches ... but either way will work.
    I just know that my eyeballs are very difficult to remove.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Just whittle down a carrot or a potato and ram it in the holes to stop the flow.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Vegetables? We are the "think green" TFP. Then snack when you're finished working.

11. Back To Top    #11

LOL I would rather use a veggie for the pool than eating LOL But that is just me!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Almost There!

Removing the "eyeballs" was no problem, and I was able to plug them with the PVC caps. The flow was much reduced but still coming through. I realized one of the caps didn't fit well; solved that problem by using the ring that used to hold the eyeball in to hold a plastic bag...perfecto! Added a plastic bag to the skimmer drain as well (held in place by a brick) and was FINALLY able to stop the flow and empty the trench of water.

The PVC is now cut, and after one more trip to the hardware store tomorrow I should have the pipes repaired.

Once the repairs are complete, is there a particular order I need to restart things? I assume I'll need to unplug the return jets, skimmer, and main drains first. But is there a certain order to restarting the pump, filter, etc?

13. Back To Top    #13

There are no steps besides removing all the plugs and turning the pump on. You will need to release the air from the top of the filter when you start the pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator