With our indoor pool we have acquired a smell that makes us cough (seems like chlorine gas). Initially when we open the cover there is no smell. It seems most evident when the spa is started (either jets or bubbles). Lately, the odor seems to be obvious whenever we splash somewhat aggressively. The pool people were here looking at something else, and I asked them about it. They said the chlorine was too high. At the time it was (I had just shocked the pool). After the chlorine level came down, they diagnosed high phosphates. Now both things are normal and the smell still remains.
Against my better judgment, I went to the pool store to get a comparison number tests. Here are the numbers.
Pool store: FC 1.5 TC 3.0 pH 7.4 Alk 50
Me: FC 1.0 TC 1.5 pH 7.5 Alk 100
They said the smell was chloramines (CC?). They said either shock the pool or add GLB oxy brite. We had a bucket of oxy brite from the original batch of chemicals from the pool builder, so we tried it. They also said to raise the Alk.
This AM results: FC 2.5 TC 3.0 pH 7.5 Alk 100.
Any thoughts? It has gotten to the point where we don't use the spa because the coughing is too much. Thanks everyone!!