Hi, My name is Pool Caretaker because the family relies on me to take care of it
I had 2 great years with my above-ground pool, but this year is a disaster, I can't get rid of the green tint (although it's clear, I can see the bottom easily.) I did the same things as last year, except the pool got warm faster due to good weather. I'm using the test sticks, so don't have accurate numbers to tell you yet, my Taylor 2006 is on order.
Meanwhile I tried getting a pool store to advise me and their numbers were totally different from mine - my Alkalinity showed high (180), their's showed low (95). My chlorine was 10+, their's was 6.5. Anyway I shocked it last night and I'm leaving the cover off so it isn't such a warm breeding ground for algae. I've read and read and read your advice and many many posts, thank you for the education. But I don't know what to do now - my pool is still green, according to the test strips the chlorine level is off the charts, and if the store test is right my CYA is 0.
I'm on well-water, I had used metal-out twice, and the store test says I have 0 copper, manganese, or iron. We have a rare good weekend coming up, and I so want a solution in time for Saturday - is that possible? My understanding is that this chlorine should go down quickly if it's killing the algae - why is it still so high and the water still so green??? It's like nothing is changing except I'm making the environment rapidly worse.
(I will buy store bleach on your advice, but meanwhile I used Burn-out because that's what I had. I put in a 400gr. bag which is way more than my 3300gal pool needs, but the store people said to do that first.)
I'm so hoping you can help me here!? Many thanks.