Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 test kit

Hi,
    Thinking about investing in one of these because it seems more accurate to count drops and multiply than to match shades of color. Perhaps it's just my eyes but I've been using test strips and a simple test from Leslie's (18-5540) and been very frustrated. It seems to me these methods are much too subjective. Am I right that the TF-100 is more accurate? Also, are all of the tests done using a calculation rather than guessing at a shade of color?

Many thanks for your advice,

Bern
    Thank you,
    Bern
    10,000 +/- gallon IG Vinyl Pool, Jacuzzi Sand Filter (model 190L)16,800 gallons/6 hours
    Jacuzzi Magnum 1HP pump (model 94027110), Raypak Versa Pool Heater (model 155C)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100 test kit

Not all of the measurements. pH is still a color comparison. The kit includes two chlorine tests, one of which is a color comparison and another that is a count and calculate test.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I love my TF 100 with the speed stir. Yes it is more accurate than what you are currently using.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    I love my TF 100 with the speed stir. Yes it is more accurate than what you are currently using.
    Dittos on the speedstir. It's cool. If your like me and like to watch the swirling water though, you may need more batteries
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP Bern!

It is indeed more accurate than strips. It's on par with lab standard tests for all the titrations it contains. It's truly a top shelf kit.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You have experienced why we don't even typically offer advice based off of either test strip or pool store test results. There are 2 tests in the TF-100 that require color comparing. The OTO chlorine test is difficult to read but really only needs to be used as a "yep, there is chlorine" test. The FAS/DPD test is where the actual FC and CC testing is done. The pH test is color match, but it is not too difficult. You get a pretty good feel for it after a while. The test most people find difficult is the CYA one, which takes some getting used to but is about the best you can get for residential use. It is still leaps and bounds ahead of the test strip method.

It really is an investment and I can tell you has saved me much more than the initial cost. This whole site really has made me a bit of a pool care addict and the TF-100 is like my hooka
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

on the TF-100! Definitely get the speed stir so you look like a rocket scientist (actually makes the job MUCH easier), and also consider getting the XL addition for extra FC testing. It's all a great value that pays for itself many times over. Welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Many, many thanks to all of you for responding. I'm going to order the TF-100 today. If I order it through TFP will you folks get some credit or commission? If so, I'd rather buy from you than from Amazon. I'm really looking forward to getting accurate numbers before I put anything else in my pool.

Thanks again,

Bern
    Thank you,
    Bern
    10,000 +/- gallon IG Vinyl Pool, Jacuzzi Sand Filter (model 190L)16,800 gallons/6 hours

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, for the tips. I agree getting the speed stir will make testing easier, I remember using similar devices in freshman chemistry many years ago. Never got the math right but had fun with all the gadgets. My other hobby is woodworking so my wife is convinced I'm ordering this just because it has a motor - that woman knows me pretty well!

Thanks again,
    Bern
    Thank you,
    Bern

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Many, many thanks to all of you for responding. I'm going to order the TF-100 today. If I order it through TFP will you folks get some credit or commission? If so, I'd rather buy from you than from Amazon. I'm really looking forward to getting accurate numbers before I put anything else in my pool.

Thanks again,

Bern
    You have to order the TF100 from TFTestkits.net

Amazon does not have it and will redirect you to their standard pool test kits.

TFP is supported by tftestkits, so yes in a way we get credit.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Members of the forum don't get commission, but I recommend buying from TFTestkits. Super fast shipping, and they support the site.

My kit is going on it's third year and I've only had to re-up on a few chemicals. I'd order the XL option, doubles your chlorine tests. Also grab an extra bottle of reagent R-13, the CYA test. You'll run out of that first and the shipping for just that isn't worth buying alone.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool