Late opening of an unclosed mess

mbree

Mar 28, 2013
Life/weather/etc got in the way and our pool didn't get closed last year (a mistake that will not be made again). It sat uncovered all fall and winter. May was rainy and filled with activities that kept us from making any attempt and fixing our problem. My husband has been the main person responsible for taking care of the pool and has a pretty good understanding of the tests and the TFPC method, but work is busy, so I'm trying to learn, so I can help out more and we can tackle getting our pool back.

Yesterday the pool was brownish-green and we tested the water (TF-100) with the following results:

FC 0
ph 8+
TA 60
CH 60
CYA under 30

We turned the pump on and I stayed on emptying the basket every 30 minutes and scooped (and scooped, and scooped) lots of leaves out most of the day, also vacuuming and brushing. I scooped out some kind of fur late in the afternoon and freaked out and put 2 jugs of bleach in and called it a day. This morning, the pool is a cloudy teal color, and I tested again, with the plan to start SLAMming, didn't test TA or CH, with these results:

FC 5.4
CC 2.0
pH 8+
CYA under 30

So, I need to get my CYA up before I start, correct? If I'm reading the pool calculator correctly, I need to add 19oz of CYA? Once I do that, I know that it takes up to a week to see a change in those numbers, so do I hold off on starting the SLAM until I see a change in numbers or just assume that it's doing it's thing and proceed as planned?

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I know it might take a while, but my only goal is to have it ready sometime this month.

For your 7000 gallon pool, 19oz of CYA assumes starting with 0 CYA. If the tube is cloudy, but you can see the black dot at the 30 mark, then the CYA is between 0 and 30. Maybe assume a starting point of 15-20 CYA, target 30 and add that amount of CYA so you don't overshoot.

Another prerequisite is to have pH in the right range before starting the SLAM.

Thanks! The water in the tube was totally clear, no cloudiness at all, so I was assuming it was closer to zero than 30, but I'll go with a starting point of 15, to be on the safe side. The CYA will lower the pH some though, right? Should I go ahead and try to adjust that while adding the CYA or wait and see what the numbers are after adding it?

I don't believe the stabilizer will reduce the PH to the level you need it in-time to SLAM. Especially if it's that high (over 8), you might be best to bring it down a bit now, at least to the mid 7's, and perhaps the CYA will being it closer to 7.2. The sooner you can get those two figures in-line for SLAMming the better. Remember to reference the Chlorine/CYA chart (link below) closely as you tally your numbers for the SLAM. :)

Thanks! Running to the hardware store shortly to pick up some MA for the pH. Quick question though, not sure how I missed it before...I have a SWG, that chart says I should be aiming for CYA of 70-80, rather than the 30 I've been figuring for the SLAM? Or is that just my final goal to get to?

30 CYA is good for the SLAM. once finished then you can raise your CYA up to the 70-80 for your SW pool. you don't want a CYA that high for a SLAM, its going to exponentially more chlorine to get it done. your lucky your CYA isn't at 70-80 right now, or would be recommending a partial drain and refill.

make sure to turn off your SWCG when you start the SLAM

So I've added 14 oz of CYA and 13 oz of MA, according to the pool calculator. I know the CYA can take a while to show up on test, but how long should it take for the pH to show lower numbers? I added the MA a little over an hour ago, tested, and it's still hot pink...I'm guessing I need to give it more time? Or is it possible that my pH is just super high? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn and understand what I'm doing!

It should only take 30+ minutes for the pH to change (assuming good circulation). Sounds like you need to add more acid as the pH must have been higher than you thought.

Wait, your FC < 10ppm right?

My FC was 0 when I just checked the pH, which is what it was the previous day, I think my reading this morning was just from my bleach freak out yesterday afternoon. And I do have good circulation going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.