Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Member

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

This is my third season as a pool owner, I wish I found this site 3 years ago!

My first two seasons were with a 15' X 42" Easy Set, this year we setup a 18' X 48" Ultra Frame.

I've already put the info on this forum to great use, I'll be installing a Hayward wall skimmer this weekend, and now that I have a proper test kit I'm confident that it should be an enjoyable season.

Before I understood CYA, I had been using tricolor "Quick-Tabs" in addition to a stabilizer that I added at fill-up. Now I understand why my pool kept going green! I thru the Quick Tabs in the garbage last night and will be bringing home a few gallons of bleach tonight!

Here are yesterday's numbers:

Temp 62F
    CYA 50ppm
    FC 5.2ppm
    CC 0.2ppm
    pH 7.2
    CH 20ppm

I hope to contribute to the community as I learn from the experts!!

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Member

Welcome to TFP!!

Good that you already have one of the recommended test kits!!

You r numbers look great. I would pull those tabs out of the trash. First they are hazardous materials that should not go in the normal reuse stream. Second, they last forever. Put them in a nice dry place and at some point you will need to bring your CYA up a little. That is the time for tabs. Vacation? No one to add bleach - tabs. TFPC tenet - Never put chemistry in your pool when you do not know the outcome See, you know wha tthe tabs do and can account for them.

Also, it appears you are using 25 mL sample for 0.2 ppm accuracy. You can go ahead and use 10 mL sample for 0.5 ppm accuracy. It will save you reagents and is close enough for us.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

welcome!

numbers look good but I would get your FC up. minimum is 4ppm, target is 6ppm for your CYA. wouldn't add any more CYA.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I didn't really throw them in the trash, it was a metaphor. I put them in the garage, and using them for vacations or to raise CYA is a great idea, thanks!

I plan to bring the FC up as recommended with bleach this evening. I was going to do it last night but the Mrs only had a little left & I like sleeping inside LOL.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

I didn't really throw them in the trash, it was a metaphor. I put them in the garage, and using them for vacations or to raise CYA is a great idea, thanks!

I plan to bring the FC up as recommended with bleach this evening. I was going to do it last night but the Mrs only had a little left & I like sleeping inside LOL.

Dom
    Welcome Dom, and good call on the bleach. Plus when you go out and get bleach be sure to keep a couple of gallons around and when she runs out, she can borrow from you. Your a hero now. Things like that work around here at the bosses house !
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

Good call Dom on taking charge of your pool. You're doing the right thing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!