Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS/DPD Test With Taylor Speed Stir

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS/DPD Test With Taylor Speed Stir

I have been doing the FAS/DPD test using the Taylor Speed Stir since I got my TF100 kit. Last night I was testing and I noticed once I was done testing and removed the cylinder from the speed stir, it was pink again (this is not due to the few minutes of sitting that the waster will turn pink). I think with white stir pill taking up so much room in the 10ml of water, the spinning white seems to dilute the pink and appear clear before it actually is clear. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just not sensitive enough to detecting the change in color? I repeated the test a few times with letting the speed stir get the water pink, then I took it off and added the 871 reagent as I swirled by hand....I got about 2ppm higher reading. Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this...I'm fine adding the 871 while swirling by hand, but I figured the speed stir would give a more accurate reading....
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: FAS/DPD Test With Taylor Speed Stir

Once you get clear the last drop you put in is your FC once multiplied by .5

When it sits it will turn pink again. Just ignore it.

- - - Updated - - -

The speed stir does give you more accurate mixing.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

The last drop is when all color is gone. As soon as that happens, you should add five drops of R-0003 for the CC portion of the test.

4. Back To Top    #4

I was doing the testing as it was getting dark, so I had the speed stir light was on, so that may have been part of it...I'll have to repeat the testing earlier with more daylight. It just shocked me with the difference in FC measurement
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't like using the light ... Seems to wash out the color.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

So it's not just me...I don't want to stop using the speed stir, but I do want to track down my problem- maybe the light is it....

Thanks
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I use the light but look through the test tube. I miss the transition if I look down in the tube while testing.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"