Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool stored!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Honeoye Falls

Pool stored!

After playing the pool store game for three years I'm ready to understand my pool's chemistry and take over its maintenance.

I have had to shock my pool with calcium hypo every other week, while using about 6x 3-inch tablets per week, just to keep any chlorine in it and I don't think that is right - since it did not keep algae from growing last year. Your explanation on the effects of trichlor and calcium hypo in the water's chemistry now make sense. I was even sold on buying and using Kleen Pool Algeacide this year, which may have been my biggest mistake.

I have ordered a TF-100 test kit and I'm ready to start using liquid bleach or chlorine and follow this forum's advice. I'll be posting more questions once I get my kit and start testing.

30K gal, 20x40 ft, IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 120 sqft cartridge, TF-100 Test Kit, 16 mil solar blanket

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Pool stored!

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on ordering the TF-100. You've taken the first step towards taking control of your pool. Here are a couple more resources to familiarize yourself with :

1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Pool Math
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

Welcome to TFP!!

Just figure the TF-100 was a couple of bottles of algecide you won't need anymore.....

We are here to help!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the Forum!

Good to have you with us, and hope you enjoy your stay. No surprise, there isn't much I can add to the posts above. Let us know when you need something.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

5. Back To Top    #5

Hope Mills, NC

Welcome, and I can almost assure you that a water drain and refill is in your very near future!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

6. Back To Top    #6
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Shame you had to go through all of that with the local stores, but you're not alone. Many of us did too. Knowing you have already ordered a trusted test kit with proven results is great. Post those numbers once it arrives and you'll have more replies than you care to deal with. Stay in touch!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!