Total Alkalinity

May 31, 2015
Oxford, Oh
Just had our pool installed. AG 18x33x54"
Just finished the fill and started running the pump and the chlorine they gave me. My chlorine levels are about 2ppm. PH is in the "green" on the bottle of test strips they gave me. Everything is in the "green" aside from TA. I have my test kit arriving today. TF-100 however I'm curious about the TA, should I worry about that right now or let the water and pump run for a few weeks and see if it comes down on its on? I figured the high TA is from it coming from the tap. I will post more accurate readings this evening when I get home with my new fancy test kit.
Thanks!

Post up your new readings before adjusting. TA has a fairly large margin of acceptability so let's see where you are.

Don't want to get too far ahead of you but running through all the tests and posting your results will give you good practice and give us an accurate snapshot of your water.

You stole my TA...lol just kidding I have a 230 TA on my well water and a 280 TA on my municipal water.
Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

It is a slow process. Here is the link to me bringing down my TA.
Results after SLAM

Your CYA is a little low. You can bump that to 30-50 range since you don't have a SWG. You add Stablizer wo a sock and set it in the top of the skimmer or hang it in front of the return with filter pump running. You cand squeeze it to help it disolve. Remember it won't show up for 1 week so wait a week to test it again after you add Stablizer. You can use pool math for calculations.

CC may go away with sunlight since you just got the pool filled not sure that your really need to SLAM to bring it down. I am sure someone else will chime in.

It just says acid to lower it. What kind of acid?
I really just want it safe for my daughter to swim in. She is almost 10 months. If it were just my wife and me then I probably wouldn't worry about the TA unless it started causing an issue with the PH or the calcium scaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muratic acid. You can get 31.45% at Lowes and maybe the pool store. You cand get the 14.5% pool MA at Home Depot but you have to add more. You can swim 15-30 mins after adding MA.

- - - Updated - - -

You will likely see your PH rise quickly with the high TA. Make sure you check PH daily along with FC. Run the other tests weekly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.