Mustard Algae?

Propbndr

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Charles City, Va
I have a recurring mustard / light olive drab colored growth on my skimmer socks. It starts showing up about 24 hours after sock installation. Soaking in strong bleach solution "destroys" it. No growth or buildup is on the pool surface, just "normal" dirt which is easily vacuumed out. The water is crystal clear and the pool surface feels clean when rubbed with hands or feet. During daylight hours, the entire pool is sunlit, the only thing that is in the shade is the interior of the skimmers.

Test numbers
FC 9.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
CYA 80
TA 80
CA 175
Salt 3800 (as reported by the swg)

I SLAM'd the pool about 6 weeks ago because of a slimy feel to the surface. As mentioned above, no more slimy feel anywhere.

Could I have a mustard algae issue?

It is possible but not likely. Mustard will grow along the walls and floor of a pool........never had a report of it growing in a skimmer before.

I suspect you have a thin layer of pollen on your pool that is only seen when it's concentrated in the skimmer sock.

If it persists for a few days, you could do an OCLT to confirm there are organics (algae) in your pool.

OCLT results shows FC dropped by .5 in 12 hours. CC is 0.

I did find my pool is collecting frogs, a skink, and what looked like a salamander. I can understand the frogs and skink but, where the heck did the salamander come from? There is no other water source within several hundred yards from my property.

With all the rain we have had over the last several days, it's time to drain about 6" of water. My skimmers are starting to look like submarines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.