Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scum/Foam Problem - Possibly the Algaecide???

1. Back To Top    #1

Nepean, Ontario Canada

Scum/Foam Problem - Possibly the Algaecide???

I have had my pool 27 years trouble free. For chemicals I just used chlorine and did not worry about the balance of the rest. This year Superior, Nepean On opened it up. Never used them before but now I have the scum and foam plus water leaks at the filter which they created. Had to get my own plumber in to fix it. They have left me stranded as they only have voice mail and never respond to it. Now what do I do?
    Central Canada. Inground 14x36. South east getting sun from 8:30-5:30 everyday. DE filter programmed to run 4 hrs per day, creepy crawler which follows the four hour program. Hayward H250 FDP heater which translates to 250,000 BTU on propane.
    Now: How do I get rid of the foam? What must I do to protect the pool and heater?

Georgetown, ON, Canada

Re: Scum/Foam Problem - Possibly the Algaecide???

Hi Pauline, welcome to the forum. Have you tried removing the scum or foam with your pole skimmer? Another idea is putting skimmer socks on your skimmer basket, which they may have at pool store or canadian tire. Eventually the chlorine will break down the algaecide, but you may need to add extra chlorine until its gone.

If you are interested in the pool methods recommended here, there are lots of articles linked above in pool school.
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Scum/Foam Problem - Possibly the Algaecide???

Bring your chlorine up to twice it's normal level and hold it there by adding as it goes down. The foam will subside but it will take a few days normally.

No more algaecides!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School