Now Entering Day Two

OK..I got a pH with the Taylor this morning of less than 7 and I added all the sodium carbonate I had .... which brought it up to 7.2 . I just went out and bought more sodium carbonate and also WalMart had the big bags of sodium bicarbonate on sale so I grabbed a couple of those ($14 for 24 pounds) .....

I also bought more stabilizer as I had run out of that as well - plus muriatic acid....

I'm going to add more pH UP and target 7.5

A pH of 7.2 is fine.

Post up some new test results.

- - - Updated - - -

Well ... given you need to add more stabilizer and if you use the acid tablets, raising the pH a bit more would not hurt.

OK....Day FOUR Results
pH=7.4
FC=2
CC=0
TA=130
CH=240
CYA<30 (although the black dot did disappear - the tube was filled to the top....maybe 1/4 inch above the 30 ppm line......)

Little history here.....the pool was tap water on Wednesday......Shocked on Wednesday night to 11 ppm FC ..... which dwindled to FC= 4 on Thursday night and 3 yesterday. Added CYA on the 3rd but I only had enough for about half of what is needed so I'm using pucks to add the rest of the CYA and maintain FC -- and deplete the puck trichlor freebies I got when I bought the pool). After adding CYA...the pH dropped and I adjusted back up in 2 batches of sodium carbonate to current 7.4

My plans for today (grandkids are coming so I can't experiment too much) ??

PLAN A
Still use pucks the swimming store gave me (trichlor) -- CYA may be low because it has only been 1/2 week since adding.

PLAN B
Use Clorox and bring FC to 4 ppm. Stop with the pucks. Add a little more stabilizer - maybe pound. Monitor pH and FC 2/day

I would add bleach to bring the chlorine level to 6 or 8 knowing that you've got kids coming over to do lots of swimming. This will help prevent your chlorine level from dropping below the minimum. It is safe to swim with chlorine levels between the minimum and the shock level for your CYA level here, Chlorine CYA Chart if your chlorine drops below the minimum level then algae can start to grow and your pool will not be properly sanitized.

I would wait to add stabilizer until after they leave. Just so they aren't messing around with the sock.

High TA can cause your PH to rise faster. Test PH every couple, few days and when it gets to 7.8 add acid to bring it to 7.2 and TA will slowly come down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Uh oh. Things are changing. Everything was going along just swimmingly :cool: and then today's measurements are

Temp=79
FC=5
CC=0
pH=7.4
CYA=50

[yesterday - we had a major rainstorm]

The CYA snuck up on me. It was about a week ago when I put in about 20 ppm worth of stabilizer and ran out of chemical. I then used pucks mostly for chlorine addition and CYA addition. But now I'm way over. How did I get so far out?

I'm going to remove the pucks now and regroup.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Hello DL. I am sure you eill get help from way more experienced TFPers. I believe the pucks add other things besides chlorine, including CYA. Not sure how m much or how quickly the pucks increase CYA though.

I think bleach or liquid chlorine are the best chlorine sources. Pucks and shock come with side effects.

Keep at it!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Uh oh. Things are changing. Everything was going along just swimmingly :cool: and then today's measurements are

Temp=79
FC=5
CC=0
pH=7.4
CYA=50

[yesterday - we had a major rainstorm]

The CYA snuck up on me. It was about a week ago when I put in about 20 ppm worth of stabilizer and ran out of chemical. I then used pucks mostly for chlorine addition and CYA addition. But now I'm way over. How did I get so far out?

I'm going to remove the pucks now and regroup.

Any thoughts on what is going on?
Each 8 oz trichlor puck raises CYA by 2.4. If you're reading 30 higher than you targeted, did you use 12 pucks already? If so, everything is behaving exactly as it should.

If not, grab a tape measure and check the depth of your water and verify your volume calculations.

At any rate, 50 CYA is probably just perfect .

No - I only used about 4 pucks. 2 trichlor and two bigger Walmart pucks - I think are dichlor.

I am suspecting the % active ingredient in my 4 pound container of stabilizer ( I have discarded the empty container so the info is lost). Also - I didn't actually weigh how much I put in - just eye-balled it by the level of powder in the jar.

I'll measure CYA again (have already switched to Clorox).

Now I need to figure out how to cover up the 18" trench around half of the pool where the bobcat leveled the ground. I'm thinking of a "boardwalk"

You do know you can use store brand bleach right? So long as it is plain, unscented bleach it works fine for cheaper. Walmart's greater value is the cheapest for many.

Shoot us a pic and we will help you with how to fix that trench. We LOVE to spend other people's money! LOL

Kim

Argh

Today I got

pH=7.4
FC=3.5
cc=0
CYA=36
Temp=80F

And I suspect the disappearing black dot on the CYA is the problem...I use a green tray to do the analytical work and yesterday I think I had a white piece of paper there. I carried the container around the room and sure enough, I could get the dot to appear or disappear depending on what was in the background and the light source.

I think I need to go to the pool store and get a sample to double check

- - - Updated - - -

DSC01488.jpgDSC01489.jpg

And here is a shot of the pool and the "trench" facing the camera. I'm not to crazy about putting up a deck and hand rail as it will ruin the view of the lake from the house. A partial deck is OK at 10 O'Clock or so and I'm thinking of a boardwalk at ground level or maybe a foot off ground over the trench. The pool store tells me I can't bury the pool even this small amount.

I think I need to go to the pool store and get a sample to double check.

Please do NOT do this. Pool store testing is notoriously unreliable, especially when it comes to CYA. You will likely get a different reading, which will only serve to further confuse you. You might as well pull a random number out of a hat and use that.

You're on the right track. Just follow the suggestions of the experts here and your pool will be sparkling clean and easy to maintain.

I carried the container around the room and sure enough, I could get the dot to appear or disappear depending on what was in the background and the light source.

There is part of your problem there, you are doing the test indoors. The best results are taken outside on a sunny day with your back to the sun and the tube in your shadow. Please do not take a sample to the pool store. Like Jeff said, it is only going to confuse you more. If you really are banging your head over it, TFTestkits sells a 50 ppm CYA sample. You could get that and use it to find the perfect lighting so you see the dot disappear right at 50.

Beautiful view BTW. Is that Watts Bar? I have friends who just moved to Oak Ridge and tell me we have to go to the lake when we come to visit. I can see why!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.