Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now Entering Day Two

1. Back To Top    #1

Now Entering Day Two

Yesterday the 24 ft AG pool finally filled with tap water and I took a sample to the pool store. They gave me an "Opening Kit" with shock, algicide, metal treatment, and trichlor tabs. The also said my calcium hardness (at 99 ppm) was low and had me put 15 pounds CaCl2 in in two steps with filtering for a few hours.

I also put the metal (measured 0.1 ppm iron was high) and shock in yesterday at dusk but held off on the algicide (not sure why)

Today, I'll do my first analysis (I bought the recommended Taylor kit) and see what's happening.

How am I doing?

One of the questions I am brooding over is what to do when we go on vacation. We're going to Europe for almost two weeks in August and we also have an RV and go on longer trips at times. I presume I slam the pool and put a cover on?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Now Entering Day Two

Forgot to enter signature info.......
    24' Round 14000 gal AG - installed June 2, 2015
    Saltwater Hayward AquaRite w/TCell - 9
    Waterway 26" sand filter w/ 2HP 2 speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Your next move is the one you should have done in the beginning-------------do your own test and share the results here. We would have been able to save you a LOT of money!

Do you have your receipt? If so take back the algicide. You do not need it.

You have a good test kit. If you use it you will never have to go to the pool store except for maybe the metal test.

Your next step is to find a source for bleach/chlorine. For some people it is Walmart greater value bleach (plain, unscented bleach), others find Sam's club or costcos 3 pack of bleach is the best price, others use chlorine form the pool store in their jugs you pay a returnable deposit on. My best price is the ACE hardware up the road. Make sure to check % as Walmart such is 8% and the pool store is 11%.

Here is something I would like for you to read. It is a lot of reading and may be a little overwhelming but it will make all the difference in YOU taking care of your pool.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

After you run your tests post the results here and we will help you with the next step.

Kim (I will touch on the trips in a few mins.)
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Trips--------2 weeks gone-----you will need someone to come over every couple of days to put pucks in your pool BUT for this to work you will have to have a lower CYA level as the pucks will add CYA to your pool. This is where having your own test kit is going to come in handy. Here is a link to Pool Math. It is SO helpful in showing you what your pools needs AND what each chemical will do to your levels.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Long weekend-----about the same as above except you will not need anyone to come over as you should be able to put enough pucks in to keep your pools levels up.

PLEASE know that you should not use pucks long term as they will add CYA and over time that will cause many problems. If you CYA gets too high you will have to add more and more bleach to keep the algae monsters at bay.

Here is a link to daily care of your pool.

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Here is what your pool will need.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Kim....I have read the ABCs, and the great booklet that comes in the Taylor test kit. I'm a Chem Engr and the analytical tests will be fun. I have three gallon bottles of clorox, trichlor and dichlor tabs and many one pound bags of shock. I also have the Jesse spreadsheet loaded and ready for action.

I intend to exclusively use clorox for sanitation and you gave me a good idea for future use of all the pucks I have (vacation).

6. Back To Top    #6

It looks like you are good to go!

Kim

7. Back To Top    #7

OK...here is my first reading

pH=7.5
    FC=11.5ppm
    cc=0
    CH=210
    TA=110
    CYA = below detection
    Temp=72F

Still a rookie at this but here's my thoughts.
    FC will come down with daylight - do nothing -- then check daily and keep it at 3 ppm in days to come
    CYA is too low.....add stabilizer until 30 ppm? Recheck pH, FC ??
    CH - OK.
    Alkalinity is higher than recommended but probably OK where it is??

8. Back To Top    #8

You are getting the hang of this for sure. Definitely get that stabilizer going since it will take a few days to fully register on your future tests. You already know your TA and PH are slightly off, but not earth-shattering. You can use the Poomath Calculator (link below) to assist you in adjusting if you like. You are doing well!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

So the pH should be a little higher??

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry, no. You're right on the edge of 7.5-7.8 for an AG vinyl, so you are good. It's still early for me.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Your tests look good, wouldn't mess with anything except CYA right now.

Did you get any cloudiness at all in your CYA test? If so you should treat your pool as if it has about 20 CYA to make sure you never undershoot your FC level or overshoot when adding CYA.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

Don't forget that your PH will not read right if you FC is over 10.

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

No cloudiness at all for CYA test. Instead of adding 3 lbs I added 2 lbs stabilizer (its all I had).

Can I use pucks for a while?

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

The CYA won't register for about 1 week after you add Stablizer.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by dlaslo View Post
    No cloudiness at all for CYA test. Instead of adding 3 lbs I added 2 lbs stabilizer (its all I had).

Can I use pucks for a while?
    if you didn't add the stabilizer I would say yes, you could use them to raise CYA while adding FC. but since you added stabilizer, no. wait a week to check your CYA. if its still low, then use the pucks but figure out how many pucks to use to raise your CYA to level you want, then stop.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

16. Back To Top    #16

Just checked the FC with a test strip and it is still 10 ppm. The sun didn't bring it down at all (sunny day all day). so we couldn't wait and jumped in the pool. Great fun, but the whole family smells like clean underwear.

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by dlaslo View Post
    Just checked the FC with a test strip and it is still 10 ppm.
    The only thing test strips can accurately measure is the distance to the bottom of your trash can. Use your k-2006.

The smell is because of your very low CYA level. Without CYA in the water the chlorine is not stabilized and is much harsher than it will be when you get your CYA level up.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

18. Back To Top    #18

My test strip matched the k-2006.

19. Back To Top    #19

2 pounds of stabilizer is only going to add 17ppm of CYA ... so no issues using tablets if you have them.

BTW, your low CH was fine ... there was no need to add calcium in a vinyl pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Our house has two faucets - one before and after water softening, and I used both to fill the pool so I expect to be a little down on calcium - so it wasn't a surprise to me when they handed me a 15 pound container of calcium salt (since I'm not charged any money by the store for the first batch of chemicals needed - they aren't trying to make a buck on it - but they told me up front that they do not pay for stabilizer - the other deficiency).

But, I also noted the difference in the TFP and the pool store (where I bought the pool) suggestions for calcium hardness guidelines for AG vinyl.
    So the question is...why the huge differences in CH recommended levels? I'm guessing the answer is -- CH is a "soft" parameter and doesn't normally cause pool chemistry trouble? Or maybe - it's an IG guideline at the store?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast