Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A new pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

A new pool owner

Just moved into an estate sale home (family of decedent out of state). No one around to ask basic questions, so I'm glad I've found you guys. I have a really stupid question and don't know where to post it, how do you turn on the (in ground) pool & spa? Or maybe you don't turn it on? Never had a pool before.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: A new pool owner

Odds are, somewhere near the pump and filter there will be a timer box. There are pictures in the Visual Encyclopedia that will help you identify what all you have.

If you're completely clueless, it might be worth the money to hire a pool service to come show you what is what and help you figure out which valve goes to what and all that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Hello Sunnyday, and welcome to TFP! We have lots of advice in this forum and hope to assist you in any way possible. Some things we suggest right away:
    - If you haven't do so already, obtain the proper test kit (see my TF-100 link below) - absolutely critical! Do not rely on strips or the pool store.
    - Don't put anything in your pool right now until you have one of those recommended kits (other than perhaps regular liquid bleach to keep algae at bay)
    - Please check-out the various links below as they serve as the foundation to educate you on the basic of what you need to know
    - Please modify your profile to include a "signature" with all of your pool info and equip. That will help us to address your areas of concern.

We hope to help you enjoy a great pool season! Welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to TFP! FWIW, when I first moved into our current house (with my first pool) I hired a pool guy for a one hour consulting session. Was very well worth it to learn about the equipment and how to operate it properly along with a few key do's and don'ts.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.