Reno, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Getting frustrated. Background 20,000 gallon salt water fiberglass pool covered. I've got it pretty good, ph 7.5, hardness 300, cyn 35 BUT Alkalinity 150. So I tried to lower alkalinity by adding muriatic acid. Then upping the ph. I was using sodium carbonate but was told by local store it would also raise alkilinty at the same rate so switched to soda ash. More muriatic acid and alkalinity got down to 100 and ph 6.8. So in with soda ash.
Now ph back to 7.4 but alkalinity back up to about 180.
I'm at a loss as to how to lower alkalinity to get it in line with ph.
Any advise?
Thanks

So if I leave the cover open and run the 6 fountains (5' arcs plumbed from the return lines located on the deck) for a few hours each day will raise the ph. Then lower both ph and alkalinity with acid and repeat until my desired level.
How long should i let the fountains run each day?

Update after a week, I've been aerating the surface with my fountains for about 8 hours a day. When the ph gets to about 7.6 I add MA and it drops to about 7.0. I've done this 3 times over the last week. No other water or chemicals have been added. Meanwhile the TA went to 210, I attribute this to the water settling after adding the soda ash last week. today the TA has slowly dropped to 180.
Is this the typical time frame I should expect?
Thanks,
Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.