Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Stir plate question

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Stir plate question

I am building a DIY stir plate rather than buying a speed stir. Why? I need it for homebrewing as well, and need a larger stir bar and probably more power than a speed stir will provide.

I read somewhere that the replacement stir bars to buy for the TF-100 are 1". The sample container is only about 1 1/8" ID. Seems pretty close for comfort. Is this correct?
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Stir plate question

Yep. 25mm X 8 mm is the standard size for the speedstir. It's got a lip that centers the vials.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: DIY Stir plate question

There's not much room in the vial with the standard magnet. You can find magnetic stirrers for less than $70 on Amazon or EBay.

I love the speed stir, but it's not a true stirrer as it doesn't have a spinning head to rotate the bar. It uses an array of three stationary electromagnets that cycle around to cause the bar to follow.

I have an Apollo stirrer that has a rotating magnetic head that will spin a pretty large bar or cross and cause a tornado vortex in a pretty large beaker.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit