Greetings from the Mitten

MirGSS

Jun 3, 2015
Okemos MI
Hello!

My husband and I recently (September) bought a house with a pool (details in signature).

Here is our fun story:

We have never owned a pool before. When we walked through the house (4 times before we put an offer in), the pool was sparkly, clear, and lovely. The day of the inspection (plus we had a separate pool inspection [more on that another time; it was basically a waste of money]), it was sparkly, clear, and lovely.

When we did our final walk-through prior to closing, it was clear that the owners had completely stopped taking care of it.

We had approximately 7 days between house closings to move all our stuff from our old house to the new. I think between the two of us we maybe took 2-3 days off work in that time. We didn't hire movers and we have a LOT of stuff. So of course...pool maintenance was the last thing on our mind, and we didn't have the time or energy to learn how anything worked.

The day after we closed on the Pool Palace, we went on vacation for almost 2 weeks.

When we came back, of course, our pool was a lovely and uniform shade of green. By this time it was October and so we just had the professionals come close it for us.

We had the same professionals open it this year. Since then, we've had nothing but trouble. Losing water, can't keep the water clear, etc. That is what brought us to TFP. So far, the information we've found has been super helpful!

I just dumped 7 jugs of 8.25% chlorine in the pool, and I've put some CYA (our test strips say we have 0 FC and 0 CYA [I know, I know, we're going to order a kit]) in a sock in the skimmer and some more in the other skimmer. Then I put our solar cover on to hopefully (?) protect the chlorine.

Debating now if I should uncover and try to brush now, or wait. It is a beautiful, warm, and sunny day here, so....yeah.

Anyway, that's my story...and I'm sticking to it!

Re: Greetings from the Mitten!

Welcome! :wave: At least you know our speach about the test kit. :) Do the best you can at the moment until you get it. Definitely keep the pump running 24/7 and sweep/vacuum each day to assist in the break-up of algae and debris. As you may have read already on TFP, stay far away from the pool store. We'll help you through this one. When you get your test kit, post some numbers for us. In the meantime, stay current on the links below which will be valuable to you as you begin to "SLAM" your pool. Again, welcome!

Re: Greetings from the Mitten!

Definitely will do!

Without any cya reading, I'm terrified to remove the solar blanket for even a brief period of time....sigh. I did manage to brush the walls; I will wait til later to do the bottom and vacuum though. Water's only 68 so that's gonna be a cold sweeping job! [emoji14]

Pardon typos; sheep have hooves, not hands.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/95939-Greetings-from-the-Mitten!

I posted our current situation in my intro post. If I can figure out how to use tapatalk, I'll post a link to that post here.

After 7 121 oz of 8.25% chlorine and a thorough brushing (did not get to vacuuming today, ugh), here's what we have.

Also, my sock fell into the pool and while I can see the bottom for most of the pool depth, it's not super clear and so I have NO IDEA what happened to it. View attachment 37590View attachment 37591View attachment 37592

For fun, here's what it looked like not too long ago....
View attachment 37593

Re: The saga continues...

Welcome to TFP!

You are making visible progress. However, to finish the job, you will need to follow a process called the SLAM Process. And to do this properly, you will need what's called a FAS-DPD chlorine test. The test strips you are using will not cut it - they do not have the precision needed to properly manage a pool. An example...note that the CYA range on the strips starts at zero. The next range goes from 30-50, then it jumps to 100, then 150, then 200. There's no way to measure amounts between 1 and 29, 51-99, 101-149, and 151-200. That's quite a spread!

This is why we recommend one of these Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping. It includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test plus all the other tests for the parameters that need to be tested.

Here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
  1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
  2. Chlorine CYA Chart - This, along with the SLAM Process will hammer home the point of needing a proper test kit.
  3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
  4. Recommended Levels
  5. Pool Math

Welcome as well from another Mitten Minion up the road from you ;)

You look well on your way but did you order one of te recommended kits yet? ( http://www.tfttestkits.net ) Mine literally saved me a boatload on a foreclosure swamp conversion a few years back!

You will never look back once you're fully using the TFP method!

Once you get your kit, post your CYA level and we'll help with next steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ugh. Pool looks the same this morning. Right color, just not clear. Vacuumed up lots of junk this morning. Hoping to get a cya reading soon so I know we aren't wasting all our chlorine!

Husband ordered test kit last night...hopefully it gets here quick!

I hope so! About to go add some more bleach. It was on sale at our local store....I bought 10 the other day and they still had plenty; when my husband went last night he bought the last 6!

Got the test kit today and results are in! And....puzzling.

pH: 7.3
FC: 15.5
CC: 0.5
CH: 150-200 depending on your color definitions
TA: 110
CYA: ZERO. ZIP. NADA.

We've been using the trichlor tabs, and I even have a sock hanging with stuff in it that's mostly dissolved....I'll give it a good squeeze every now and then. It's been there for a week. Am I just too impatient?

Water is a good color but still cloudy. Could my chlorine be too high for the CYA level? (And frankly I'm shocked it's that high; it's been sunny and I haven't been great at keeping the cover on).

Also, NEW PROBLEM. Getting dirty water out of the return jets when vacuuming. Husband backwashed filter one or two days ago. I tried backwashing again; then immediately vacuumed. Within a minute I was getting dirty water from the return jets again. Should I wait a while after returning to filter mode before vacuuming?

With cya at zero you can be thankful the chlorine is even registering, but maybe it is because you have the cover on.

at 15.5 it should be effectively killing the algae/green but...

That pump filtering needs to be addressed asap, not helpful at all to fix the water if junk is returning.

Agreed. Is this something I can look into myself? I'm pretty handy/good at figuring things out and my husband is already not happy at the amount of money we have spent on the professional pool guys.

Note that we only seem to get dirty water in the return when vacuuming; perhaps that is simply because most of the debris/junk is on the bottom though.

Or what about an easy fix: a pool vacuum that doesn't attach to the filter?

Got the test kit today and results are in! And....puzzling.
Also, NEW PROBLEM. Getting dirty water out of the return jets when vacuuming. Husband backwashed filter one or two days ago. I tried backwashing again; then immediately vacuumed. Within a minute I was getting dirty water from the return jets again. Should I wait a while after returning to filter mode before vacuuming?

have you done a deep cleaning on the sand filter? That may help: The Ultimate Deep Clean Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

ahhh, well that would probably be the reason its not working good... put a good coat of wax down and get a shopvac and deep clean away :) as long as the water does not sit you will be fine...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.