Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trichlor pucks and Bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Trichlor pucks and Bleach?

Is it a bad idea to have both the tabs and liquid bleach to chlorinate the pool?

Here are my latest test results:
    TC- .5 (based on Taylor basic test)
    B- 1
    ph- 7.2
    FC- 1.5 (based on tf100)
    CC- 1.5 (based on tf100)
    CH- 175/200 I wasn't 100% sure on this one
    TA- 90
    (today I didn't run the CYA, but yesterday it was cloudy, but could clearly see the bottom dot, so I added cyuranic acid last night and plan to wait to test later this week)

the he kicker is I have had the tabs in the pool since I opened and the CYA and FC have not gone up...(which I have added bleach also)

am am I counter balancing? Any advice is appreciated.
    ~16,500g, in ground gunite pool, Hayward pro series sand filter, Emerson pumps, TF 100 XL test kit, Speed Stir, Polaris 280 pool sweep (I believe that is the model)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trichlor pucks and Bleach?

Also, I know by the charts what the ideal levels should be at... And I am working towards those levels... But I am curious if these numbers are safe to swim or not?
    ~16,500g, in ground gunite pool, Hayward pro series sand filter, Emerson pumps, TF 100 XL test kit, Speed Stir, Polaris 280 pool sweep (I believe that is the model)

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you misinterpreted the CC result. It's probably 0, not 1.5, because I suspect you added the R-0003 drops and the color didn't change. The CC is the number of FAS-DPD drops needed to clear the pink/red after the R-0003 is added. If there is no pink/red, then that's 0 drops so 0 ppm CC.

You can use both bleach and Trichlor to chlorinate the pool but of course you don't mix those two in concentrated form together. You can use the Trichlor to raise your CYA level if it's low, though it will do this slowly. You can use the Trichlor when on vacation to maintain chlorine in the pool for around a week.

Your FC level should get higher as the CYA starts to climb. It might be OK now but will likely get used up in sunlight very quickly with no CYA in the water so probably best to raise it some.

You probably aren't seeing a rise in FC because it's getting broken down by the UV in sunlight too quickly. As for the CYA from the Trichlor, for every 10 ppm FC added by Trichlor, it also increases CYA by 6 ppm so that will take a while to rise from that so your adding some separately is the normal thing to do.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

You can do both, simultaneously even.

I was out of town for four days so I loaded up my puck floater and set it adrift. The pucks dissolved down to slivers but they were still there and I needed FC. So I just poured it in as usual and ignored that floater bobbing around.

Just don't pour the bleach right onto the pucks, and don't mix Cal-hypo and Trichlor, because they can react with some violence.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you both! I have added significant amounts of cyuranic acid and still my CYA levels aren't going up much...water is blue but still a bit cloudy... I am running my pool sweep when I am running my pump (should I stop that? It is on 'filter mode' at the filter setting)...I have 3 pucks that have been in the float for about a week and a half and are not completely dissolved)... And I have also added a 121oz of concentrated 8.25% bleach both last night and tonight...wondering what else I need to be doing...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Pete.Spencer View Post
    Thank you both! I have added significant amounts of cyuranic acid and still my CYA levels aren't going up much...water is blue but still a bit cloudy... I am running my pool sweep when I am running my pump (should I stop that? It is on 'filter mode' at the filter setting)...I have 3 pucks that have been in the float for about a week and a half and are not completely dissolved)... And I have also added a 121oz of concentrated 8.25% bleach both last night and tonight...wondering what else I need to be doing...
    If those pucks last that long, you might need to check the floater is set wide open. The slots do open and close on most of them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

They are as open as the get... They are from last season... Previous owner had them... When we bought the house in September, it was a brand new container of them... Do they expire?

8. Back To Top    #8

They are as open as the get... They are from last season... Previous owner had them... When we bought the house in September, it was a brand new container of them... Do they expire?
    As long as they stay dry, I imagine they'll outlast either of us. I usually set the pucks on edge to expose more surface to water. When they stack, nothing much circulates between the pucks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do the pucks expire? No, keep them dry and they last a looooon time.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

10-4... I just took them out and broke them apart and tried to rearrange them so they had more gaps between them to get better circulation.

thanks again!