Cover or not

octanefam

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 11, 2015
Puyallup, WA
We have a blue solar cover and need to know the do's and dont's. For instance here In the NW we are going to have weather in the 80's for the next week so do I un cover during the day and cover at night or leave it covered unless we are using the pool.

Thanks

It depends on how warm you want the water to get. If you like really warm water, I would leave the cover on as much as you can during the day. Just note that you will need to take it off at some point during the day or early evening to let the pump run, test chlorine, and top-off with chlorine as needed. Leaving the cover on at night will help retain much of the heat gained during the day.

For me, I take my cover off when we have a bright sunny day and little wind. On cool overcast days and when we have lots of wind I leave it on. I always put it on at night regardless off the weather. I don't remove the cover when the pump runs or if I need to add bleach if it is already on.

I leave mine on almost all day all the time except when swimming. The biggest key is leaving it on at night, that will give you the most help in increasing temps through reduction in overnight heat loss.

My limited experience:

- Nighttime: Cover on always; this is when it really adds value reducing heat loss.
- Daytime cool or windy: Cover on probably better
- Daytime warm calm and sunny: Cover off probably better for heat gain, but I think it's pretty close

Having said that, I don't bother taking our cover off most days when we're not going to use the pool, even if it's sunny. No issues here with the pump running or the Polaris 280 working under the cover. I flip back one corner near the return when I'm adding chemicals or water.

I leave mine on all the time unless we are swimming. Even with it cut in strips, I get zero joy from removing it when we are not using the pool. At night is critical to keep from losing too much heat. With it on, I still lose 2-4 degrees depending on the air temp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.