Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover or not

1. Back To Top    #1

Puyallup, WA

Cover or not

We have a blue solar cover and need to know the do's and dont's. For instance here In the NW we are going to have weather in the 80's for the next week so do I un cover during the day and cover at night or leave it covered unless we are using the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Cover or not

It depends on how warm you want the water to get. If you like really warm water, I would leave the cover on as much as you can during the day. Just note that you will need to take it off at some point during the day or early evening to let the pump run, test chlorine, and top-off with chlorine as needed. Leaving the cover on at night will help retain much of the heat gained during the day.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Western Pa.

For me, I take my cover off when we have a bright sunny day and little wind. On cool overcast days and when we have lots of wind I leave it on. I always put it on at night regardless off the weather. I don't remove the cover when the pump runs or if I need to add bleach if it is already on.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Pool Rover Jr. ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

4. Back To Top    #4
    Aurora, Ontario-Canada

i take it off when i have sun and hot and when it's a cool, cloudy day i leave it on, but i definitely cover up at night.
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48" sand filter w/intex SWG.
    Pool Blaster Max Vacuum
    3rd year with Intex and no problems
    Pentair Mastertemp BTU 125/ propane
    Taylor K2006 Complete FAS-DPD

5. Back To Top    #5

Chicago, IL

I leave mine on almost all day all the time except when swimming. The biggest key is leaving it on at night, that will give you the most help in increasing temps through reduction in overnight heat loss.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

6. Back To Top    #6

Sacramento, CA

My limited experience:

- Nighttime: Cover on always; this is when it really adds value reducing heat loss.
    - Daytime cool or windy: Cover on probably better
    - Daytime warm calm and sunny: Cover off probably better for heat gain, but I think it's pretty close

Having said that, I don't bother taking our cover off most days when we're not going to use the pool, even if it's sunny. No issues here with the pump running or the Polaris 280 working under the cover. I flip back one corner near the return when I'm adding chemicals or water.
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

7. Back To Top    #7

Nashville, TN

Our water temp would drop 6-8* overnight without but only about 2* with the cover on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain

8. Back To Top    #8

Orlando, FL

I leave mine on all the time unless we are swimming. Even with it cut in strips, I get zero joy from removing it when we are not using the pool. At night is critical to keep from losing too much heat. With it on, I still lose 2-4 degrees depending on the air temp.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).