Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE and internal air bleed hose

1. Back To Top    #1

DE and internal air bleed hose

Hey friends,

I'm new here and a new pool owner. We moved into a new home last September and used the pool for a month before a pool pro closed it.

He was back this spring to open it a few weeks ago.

I did my first backwash yesterday and I think I have two problems: I put in too much DE (I just found info online that suggest 6 and I used more like 10 scoops) and my my Pentair internal air bleed hose is broken off...(so I ordered a new one)...but after my backwash yesterday it seems the pool floor is covered with DE.

Questions:

1. I'm running my Polaris to pick it up but wondering if I should just vacuum it? If I vacuum it, wont the DE just go back into the filter?

2. Also, am I correct in thinking that the broken air bleed hose (it's missing the filter at the end) would cause the DE to go back into my pool?

Thanks!
    -- 28,900 gallons, IG, plaster, DE - Pentair FNS Plus 60 with Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Installed 2009. Polaris 360. Gas heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE and internal air bleed hose

Sorry, I can't help with a DE filter, but here is a
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

If you vacuum, it will go back into the filter. The missing air relief will allow some DE to pass. The air relief should be installed and then you can vacuum the DE.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you! The new air relief fixed the problem!
    -- 28,900 gallons, IG, plaster, DE - Pentair FNS Plus 60 with Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Installed 2009. Polaris 360. Gas heater.