Opinions....City sandblast materials, primer over-spray in just remodeled pool

Feb 2, 2015
DFW
Opinions concerning situation:

We have the pleasure to own a 20 year old home with a 17K gallon SWG pool. When we bought the home two years ago, we knew the pool had been horribly neglected, and work would be needed. We saved for two years to resurface/remodel slightly the pool. We just finished spending $11K resurfacing, repairing steps, adding a bench and sundeck. That does not include what we spent last year to change out all the plumbing to go from Chlorine to SWG. We chose Pebble Sheen so we did use good materials, etc. We live a block and half from three rather large water towers owned by the city. The city has been sandblasting those towers since February off and on. Due to storms and all the rains, we had (like so many) had a battle to keep our chemicals correct since the remodel. But also due to weather, the city has had many delays in their project. Today it was finally dry enough for the workers to get the heavy equipment back in, and they started sand-blasting and primering again. Tonight we came home from work with sandblast particles/sediment and maybe what may be primer over-spray covering our pool. Most of it is fine, but it is **** to get out, and it looks like ****. We are still trying to get the landscaping finished up, but after seeing the over-spray on everything, I’m even concerning about the newer plantings.

I want to phone the city. I’m peeved that they didn’t take some precautions to keep that stuff from floating into the yards backing to their corp property.

I want to know what the TFP members think? Would you be peeved? No way is the water in swimming condition, and who knows what this will do to filtering?

Another issue is we have two Golden Retrievers . Big swimmers. We try to keep them from drinking from the pool, but now? Dang, this cannot be good for them. One of our goldens is a cancer survivor. We spent over a year and half just keeping her alive (another story). She is in remission, and no way would I want her breathing or swallowing that dust and sediment. We are hesitant to let her out after the discovery tonight.

I’m not trying to be difficult, but tell me…. What is your opinion? Would you be unhappy with the city and their contractors? Enough to raise a stink? Anybody know anything about commercial primers, or sandblasting materials?

We took pictures to take to the city tomorrow.

Last edited:
Call the DEC. There is no way that is permissible. Around here all sandblasting debris must be contained and when they do bridges over water the DEC is there watching like a hawk on a rabbit. There are regulations that must be followed.

When I got home from work the city was here for inspection, and will be returning tomorrow morning with a solution, we hope. I don't thing a regular pool net will do it. We've tried to net already and capture the sediments into little soft piles and gently move it toward the net, but as soon as we try to scoop it, it goes straight through and gradually floats to the top again. This stuff does not dissolve in water, and does not sink. The city contractors have been working on the towers since 7 am this morning, and we can hear their compressors tonight. The sediment is thicker tonight also, so the winds are continuing to carry that stuff. If the city cannot fix this, than we have a mason jar with a sample and plenty of pictures. The sediment from the sand blasting or possibly the over-spray from the primer is also on all the vegetation, including everything in veggie garden, and pretty much everything. I wouldn't want to eat the vegetables until we know what is now in the soil and covering the buds on the tomatoes. Maybe this is nothing, but this is a fine reddish colored dust. We ask for a material sheet on the product they said they were using. If the city does not not fix this, then we will move upward to the DEC. This neighborhood consists of only two blocks. All but one home have pools. We haven't lived here long, and don't know the neighbors, but our guess is their pools looked bad also. I let you guys know what happens. Thank you for your assistance and suggestions. I was pretty peeved last night.

You know? I work in the oil patch. We have to jump through all kinds of hoops when operators paint tanks and equipment out in the field and have always had to put up the tall thick fabric barriers. The city should have taken that same precaution.

Danpick, loved your last comparison regarding the farts. Most of these agencies are that bad, and are more than happy to jump in for more regulation and our pocketbooks.

While you wait for the Environment Department to check things out, you may want to protect your rights by filing a tort claim notice with your City's risk management division (or whatever the division is called in Dallas.) For these types of claims, most jurisdictions have a fairly short time limit in which to give notice to the city that you've been harmed. In NM, that is only 90 days. I'm not at all familiar with TX law, but I'm certain they have similar provisions/requirements that can usually be discovered with a simple google search. Don't delay and don't let the City string you along until it's too late to file your notice.

ok. Thanks for all the replies, etc. We are calling and trying to get the research done on it. I'll contacting neighbors tomorrow, in order to ask about their pools also. You guys are a wealth of info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.