Intex Sand Filter Pressure Gauge reads zero psi

aboykin2269

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pittsboro NC
Hi Everyone,
New to the site, but been reading for a while. Hopefully this is an easy one. Just set up brand new Summer Escapes 16x48 AGP with Intex CS15110 SWG and sand filter. Seems to be working OK except the pressure gauge on the sand tank reads ZERO and the water is mirky. I've vacuumed twice and it just looks like the water is running straight thru without being filtered. After a few hours, the particulates settle back to the bottom. I've backwashed twice, and check the water. Chems seem right where they should be, but I'm concerned the filter is not working. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your most excellent help.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Does that filter have a multi-valve with a recirculate setting? That would bypass the filter and give you 0 pressure in the filter.

Post up some pix ;)

So, yes the multi-position has recirc, but I definitely have it set to filter.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150603_195053.jpg
    20150603_195053.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 20150603_195641.jpg
    20150603_195641.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 203
So I've determined that the gauge is just not working. I unscrewed it while the pump was in Filter mode and water shot out a good several feet. So there's pressure in the tank, but my water is sick mirky. Maybe not enough sand? Maybe the wrong size sand? The manual says use #20 silica or glass sand w/ particle size range 0.45 to 0.85 mm, and uniform Coefficient less than 1.75. The only filter sand I could find locally was from Lowes.Aqua Chem 25-lb Sand Pool Filter Aid

No size or Coefficient listed. But the label says

• Filters particles 10 times smaller than those trapped by filter sand.
  • Just grasping at straws I guess, but I feel like I should at least be able to see the last three rungs of my ladder instead of looking at milk. Water should be much clearer than it is. And I've vacuumed twice since anyone was in it and it still has junk settled on the bottom.

Last edited:
Right on! What a great site. So i just went to pool school. Ordered my TF-100 with K-1766 Salt Test. Ordered a new gauge. Going to check the sand level in my filter.
Once my kit arrives, I will test the water and compare my results to the article in pool school for SWG's Water Balance, use the pool math to get my water balanced, and hopefully end up with crystal clear water. I'll let everyone how it goes over the next few weeks and post questions as they arise. Thanks again for this site. Glad I found it.

Fyi, I ordered a new gauge to replace the one in my Intex pump, but when it arrived, the fitting was much larger than the one on the Intex gauge. I was able to get an adapter at Ace Hardware for a few dollars to make it fit.

temporary_zpsor3rjszp.jpg

So I found the CORRECT filter sand yesterday. Dissasembled the filter and replaced the sand. The sand I had in there was much too small. The grains were stuck in every openning on the plastic filter fingers. Washed all that out and filled with proper sand. This sand was much cleaner than what I was using. Backwashed for the first time and it only took a few seconds before water was running clear. My TF100 shoudl be here tomorrow. I'm on the road to clear water!

"Bushing"! Thanks, now I know the correct terminology. Sounds much better than "do-hickey".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ha, Actually, not a bushing. To go from 1/4 male to 1/8 male i need a 1/8xcl nipple and a 1/4x1/8 npt coupling. But "do-hickey" does have a nice ring. My TF100 test kit should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to get this water balanced and sparkling!

Just take both gauges to the hardware store and tell them you need to make the new one fit into the hole for the old one. They'll fix you up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.