Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TomKOK

1. Back To Top    #1

Post TomKOK

Hey all,

As a teen (during the seventies), I was forced to maintain a public pool. The daily vacuuming, skimming, testing and chemical addition was, to say the least, not my favorite part of my adolescence. Anyhow, my wife and I are now retired, and have moved into a beautiful house of her choosing. Unfortunately, it has a big water filled rectangular pit in the back yard. I was overruled when suggesting that we fill it in and plant a vegetable garden...

Soooo, when we uncovered it this spring, we found that the vinyl liner had been destroyed by the kids of the previous owner. We had the liner replaced, filled it (with water, and 'local pool store' suggested salt and chemicals). Now I've found myself a not so proud owner and maintainer of a backyard money-pit.

I have found that things seem alot different from when I was a kid, so I found your website and am hoping the information and help I find from the members and administrators - will change me from being a money-pit sourpuss, to a happy pool owner/maintainer...
    30K gallon, In ground, Sand Filter (Pentair Tagelus), 1.5HP SPLAPOOL Single speed pump, Vinyl liner installed May 2015, Rectangular, Saltwater, Pentair Intellichlor IC60, Deep well filled, Nu-B to pools (May 2015)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TomKOK

Welcome to TFP!!!

The pool is only a money pit while you are going to pool stores before finding TFP

Maintaining a pool has not really changed ... the chemistry is the same. But the true information is now readily available.

The first step is investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits and posting up the results so we can figure out what needs to be adjusted. I recommend the TF-100 and add the salt test as well to get you free shipping (comes out of Raleigh, so you should get it quick).

How does the water currently look?

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Well, we like to think we are very good at keeping pools from draining too much money from our pockets.

My first suggestion is to stay away from pool stores. Their only response to any question is to try to sell you something. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

First, not much credence is given to pool store testing, so don't bother. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

I think you will find your pool a lot easier than what you dealt with as a kid.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP! Dittos to what the previous responders have already stated. Pool maintenance is much simpler that what many are led to believe. I primarily use only two chemicals to maintain my pool: Chlorine (in the form of plain liquid bleach) and muriatic acid (a.k.a., MA).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Post Re: TomKOK

Wow, a forum that actually responds, and responds in force and at speed...

Thanks for the encouragement, my pool currently is crystal clear with a slightly high salt content, but per my (only) local pool store. They also have advised that the pool is balanced and all tests are 'in the green'.

I plan on getting the platinum membership & the twenty dollar coupon for the TF100 as well as purchasing it with the XL Option. Once I get the kit, I'll be back to posting, till then I'll be browsing the plethora of information on the site...

Thanks again,
    TomK
    30K gallon, In ground, Sand Filter (Pentair Tagelus), 1.5HP SPLAPOOL Single speed pump, Vinyl liner installed May 2015, Rectangular, Saltwater, Pentair Intellichlor IC60, Deep well filled, Nu-B to pools (May 2015)

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome Tom. You'll love it here, and subsequently learn to love your pool when you follow a method whose only answer isn't a few more c notes. We don't blindly throw chemicals at our pools. We test the levels with an accurate kit and only add what it needs when it needs it. As previously stated, the only thing most people here use is some form of liquid chlorine and muriatic acid. Once everything is lined out, the other levels you test for don't change very rapidly.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to the forum Tom!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

and Thank you for your platinum contribution. That money stays within the forum to be spent only on forum matters. We appreciate it.

You'll be hard pressed to find a friendlier bunch or a more knowledgeable bunch about what we all love - POOLS!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome, I think you're going to like it here.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I just wanted to say welcome to TFP! You are in great hands here.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

I've, made the donation, and have read enough on the forum (and your response links [thank-you]), to deduce that I need the additional salt test kit, but probably not the XL kit since my water currently is OK and crystal clear. How will the coupon be 'delivered', & how would I redeem it at TFTestkits.net?

I went to TFTestkits.net, to see about ordering the test kit, but it seemed to redirect me to another domain when I went to set up an account. I sent them an email to see if that was normal. I'll have to wait for a response before ordering.

Thanks,
    TomK

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome Tom! I'm sure someone will stop in to answer your question about the coupon. Just want to say that if you follow the TFP method, owning your pool will be inexpensive and enjoyable.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

You should get a email with the coupon code. I cannot remember if I was redirected when I signed up on there or not.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

14. Back To Top    #14

You sure you went to .net and not .com?

SpeedStir would be good to get you to free shipping
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Welcome!

You're really going to like the FAS-SPD chlorine test. Beats the heck out of that card with the dithered colormatching you used as a teen. Look familiar?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!