Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Returning metals after ascorbic acid treatment?

1. Back To Top    #1

Returning metals after ascorbic acid treatment?

Hi guys! I recently did an ascorbic acid treatment on my pool. Everything looked great for a couple of days and then the water started turning gray/green. It wasn't cloudy and nothing dispersed upon being brushed, so I concluded that perhaps I hadn't added enough sequestrant (I used HTH metal stuff). Within hours of adding more, the pool improved drastically and by the next morning (after running all night) it had returned to normal. Fast forward three days and my pool water has gone from perfect this morning to gray again! Anybody have any ideas? I figure I just need more metal sequestrant? But surely I shouldn't have to be adding it every three days??!!

specs:
    28000 gallon salt water vinyl pool

FC 1.5
    ph 7.0
    cya 55
    ta 50

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Returning metals after ascorbic acid treatment?

Welcome to TFP!!!

What is the ingredient in the Metal Stuff? It may not be one of the better sequestrants as described here: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Definitely recommend the sequestrants mentioned in that article. You'll still need to add some periodically, but it should be considerably less often compared to an inferior sequestrant.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hydroxyethylidene Diphosphonix Acid. (I assumed this was HEDP which was one of the recommended ones??)

HTH Metal Control

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there anything else you think that could possibly be going on?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you can't get the metal sequestrant to work or if its ongoing cost is going to be expensive then you could consider trying to use CuLator. Though it's had mixed results, whenever the company got involved with the user they've been able to resolve it so if you do go that route be sure to contact the company if you run into any problems. It's not cheap, but when it works it will remove the metal from the water. If you aren't getting metals reintroduced into your pool, then this is like a one-time fix.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"