Is the time clock the problem?

Sep 9, 2008
We have been having problems with the electrical part of our pump equipment and I'm trying to figure out if it's the time clock on the main pump or if it could be a problem with the pump itself or ???

We have 2 mechanical timers - one for the sweep and one for the main pump. The main pump was running fine for the last year since the time clock was replaced by a pool repairman. But about 3 weeks ago we discovered that the pump was shutting down even when the switch was on and the time clock was on.

The switch was very old so first I replaced the switch and repaired one of the wires which had been spliced. That seemed to fix the problem but then the next week the pump quit working again. At that point the pump would run if we jiggled the time clock so I pulled the time clock and checked all the wires and reattached it to make sure all the connections were good and clean.

Sometimes the pump would run when turned on and sometimes it wouldn't. If it didn't run it would start if we jiggled the time clock. We also noticed (for the first time) what seemed to be green sparking behind the time clock would occassionally happen.

So I have pulled the time clock and taken a close look at it. There is no sign of arcing anywhere on the clock. However the copper connections that close when the mechanical switch is moved to the on position appear to have some corrosion where the leads contact.

So I'm planning to try to clean off the corrosion and re-install the time clock to see if it will run.

I have never done this stuff before so I'm not sure if this is the best way to handle things. Is it possible that there could be a problem with the pump itself or with the electrical line/breaker?

Should I go ahead and re-install the time clock? Would it be better for me to go buy a new one? Or should I be calling an electrician or pool repair person at this point?

Thanks for any advice.

Patricia

17,000 IG Plaster Cartridge filter Jet Vac Sweep and Hayward Pump

My Intermatic mechanical timer failed the same way. The contacts in the timer were damaged from years of arcing across them as the contacts switched on and off. The rest of the unit worked fine, but Intermatic's design doesn't allow for replacing just the contacts. :(

I found that the timer inside the Intermatic "Little Gray Box" that Home Depot sells for controlling water heaters worked just like my pool timer, but was about $20 cheaper. 8) I just removed the timer from the metal box and installed it in the box that controls my pool pumps.

You might want to keep the old timer around for spare parts. The timer motor sometimes fails and you can replace it fairly easily.

This timer is only 18 months old. Assuming it's the corrosion on the leads, I'm concerned that I will be replacing this thing every other year.

The existing set up for the timers is outdoors, housed inside metal boxes with a hinged cover. They close but are certainly not waterproof or sealed against the elements.

Any suggestions on ways to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks,

Patricia

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.