mastertemp electrical needs

Jul 19, 2014
Ottawa
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows what the amp draw it would be for a mastertemp 250BTU.

I have a 120v 15amp circuit with a pump on it and I was wondering if there would be room for the heater on the same circuit.

Thanks,
CC

I looked up the manual and it does not have a power requirement in it. I would guess about 2-3 amps as the only thing really drawing any power is the blower. Your pump motor should have the amps load listed on it

I wish I could help, but the manual for that heater doesn't provide enough information relating to the actual current draw of the heater. All it says is to have it on a 15 amp breaker with a minimum of 14awg wire. The blower and ignitor work off line voltage, and the controls are stepped down to 24vac. Depending on the amp draw of the pump you have, you may be able to put it on the same circuit. I'm not sure if that's standard practice or not. Maybe someone else will know. I would venture a guess that unless it is a fairly small pump, you'll have to have a separate circuit for the heater. My 1.5 hp pump is rated for 9.6 amps at 240v, so around 18-19 amps on 120v. A 3/4 hp pump may leave enough room to run the heater, and a 1hp pump probably doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it may work. The current pump is at the max for what you would want on that circuit. The new pumps should give you enough room. As danpik said, maybe 2-3 amps for the blower, and another couple for the ignitor for a few seconds when it starts up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are good with what you have. In fact most units are hooked into the pump timer so they can't try to fire unless the pump is running. So I would suggest to hook the heater power into the timer and you are good to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.