Bought a house and got a pool

You need a new pH test ... the TF-100 includes it.
The XL option (from tftestkits.net ... is that where you ordered?) adds more of the FAS-DPD reagents that you will need for the SLAM.

The "XL Option" is for when/if you order the TF-100 so that you can get additional product(s) to measure the FC/CC. You go through quite a bit of it when starting a SLAM. Also consider requesting the "speed stir" that mixes the solution for you. Very nice. (Link below). To be accurate with TFP, you really do need this kit. It pays for itself in the long run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did you get a CYA of 19? Usually you take multiple readings and pick the nearest 10ppm.

I would add another 10ppm of CYA and then start following the SLAM process using bleach.

BTW, you should order some more FAS-DPD reagents before you run out while SLAMing.

You don't need baking soda ... your TA is fine.
Which is why we do not recommend trying to stock up on chemicals ... just buy what you know you need.

If your CYA is 20ppm, then I would add another 10ppm into a sock and get it dissolving.
Then assuming your pH is still around 7.2, start adding bleach and following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

Bill, to prepare for a SLAM, you should validate the following:
- Adjust PH to 7.2 - 7.5; don’t worry about it after that during the SLAM
- Ideal CYA should be 30; the higher the CYA, the more bleach required
- Have a good amount of “regular” liquid bleach on-hand to keep your FC high at all times

Next, use the Chlorine/CYA chart (link in my sig) to bring your FC up to the proper SLAM level rating based on your current CYA and make sure it stays there (MAINTAIN) until you meet ALL 3 criteria listed above! That may take just a few days or even a week or two! That is absolutely critical for success.

At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed.

If you have ANY questions, just ask.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support